• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gabby update / He's getting a new cage

Happynme

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I got a flight cage for 135. Its huge and happy loves it. You can pair down belongings and look on pinterest for homemade or cheap storage solutions and remember you can use vertical space too. Its so worth the 135 to get a flight cage your bird spends its whole life in.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you have $300 now is there any reason you can't, say, get the one Ankou mentioned now? The cage you describe is much, much less than ideal. Does Gabby get a lot of out time?

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
Sweetie you can't take things to heart offensively on here. Everyone means well! You just have to get to know everyone. We all love our critters and only mean well when you come here to get advice (that being said, that should've been a whole other post entirely if it concerns you that much)
As for the cage issue, the bigger, the better. I have clutter everywhere for my little guy but I wouldn't change it for the world. You're always gonna have some sort of clutter with fids. But bigger is always better. Bare minimum should only be used as a temporary solution or a sleep cage, but you really should save up and buy a flight cage like the others mentioned. Do your research but don't settle for something that will make your fid unhappy!

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
I really recommend a standard flight cage.
I have two A&E's(for my 'Tiel and Lovie) and couldn't be happier with them. They offer tons of room for plenty of perching options and a good amount of toys. Also on the Vision cages, I wouldn't really recommend them. They're very narrow, and I never was a fan of the clip-on base. And for the price, your better off going for a standard flight cage.

Here's the A&E: Amazon.com : A&E CAGE CO 32-Inch by 21-Inch Flight Cage and Stand, Sandstone : Birds Cages : Pet Supplies

HQ also has one: Amazon.com : HQ Flight Cage, Multi Purpose Aviary with Cart Stand, Black, 1 Per Box : Parrot Cage : Pet Supplies

And Prevue Hendryx has one for a bit less: Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage with Stand F040 Black Bird Cage, 31-Inch by 20-1/2-Inch by 53-Inch : Birdcages : Pet Supplies
The second one is happys cage. I got it for 135.00 shipped from ebay. And its been a fantastic investment

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
18x18x18 is the bare minimum. Like feeding all seeds and saying it's fine because the bird is getting fed. Or hanging some toys but never replacing or rotating them if they go undestroyed. And if all we are willing to do is provide the absolutely least we can get away with without being outright negligent why even have a pet?

Anyway, in the hope it will help get Gabby more space I tried to find some cages for you, I really only found this one type though from several manufacturers. If you are correct about the dimensions of your dresser these should work to sit on it. Blue text links to the cage on Amazon.
$42 30x18x18 Prevue cage. That 30 inch length will give some decent space that does help make up for the width and depth being so small. If it's an upgrade from what he has now, I'd say go for it. Not a great cage but it might be something you can use in your situation.
I have a cage like this where my linnies sleep...however that is about all they seem to do in there. when I'm awake and home the door is tied open and they spend most of the time out playing around. I leave the door open until its bed time. they seem to love the cage but with the door open during the "awake" time so they have the option to go in and out as they please.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just as a note, great thread. I was looking for good cage ideas and here they are supplied in plenty.
Generally the size cage you want is a 32"x21" flight cage (height varies). I have 28"x18" for my mobility-challenged birds because that was the largest I could find with all horizontal bars (had to order Neut's twice to get horizontal bars - TL;DR), but I will probably upgrade at some point because there are now larger cages available that have what they need. (Plus Neut's wings finally grew out, so that helps her greatly.) I consider the 28"x18" a minimum.

This is Neut in her 28"x18":

image.jpeg

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got a flight cage for 135. Its huge and happy loves it. You can pair down belongings and look on pinterest for homemade or cheap storage solutions and remember you can use vertical space too. Its so worth the 135 to get a flight cage your bird spends its whole life in.
True, very true. Excellent suggestion. I went straight to just getting rid of furniture when I brought Neut home, but that's how I am, lol. It's just stuff. The birds need the space, and they're the priority since they have to live in cages while we humans get the luxury of a whole abode that we can leave any time we choose!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
True, very true. Excellent suggestion. I went straight to just getting rid of furniture when I brought Neut home, but that's how I am, lol. It's just stuff. The birds need the space, and they're the priority since they have to live in cages while we humans get the luxury of a whole abode that we can leave any time we choose!
Haha, same here! :lol:
I ended up getting rid of half my bedroom furniture( which really was just wasting space anyway) for my three cages. Now they have half of the room, and everyone is happy. :D

I find these to be a great help to store clothes, if you decide to move the dresser in favor of putting a flight cage there.
( which I recommend, they really are amazing! )

Link: http://m.target.com/p/8-shelf-closet-organizer/-/A-12227062?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Storage+Organization+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Storage+Organization&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9012025&gclid=CN608tzh9swCFQEGaQodTx8Bmg&gclsrc=aw.ds

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Sylvi_ Thank you, that is an awesome suggestion! I've been pondering getting rid of the dresser for a while...that may work out better when I move again. (The dresser has only survived this long because it also supports the game systems and the tv. ;) )

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
@Sylvi_ Thank you, that is an awesome suggestion! I've been pondering getting rid of the dresser for a while...that may work out better when I move again. (The dresser has only survived this long because it also supports the game systems and the tv. ;) )
Here, my desk was sacrificed for my TV and game systems. :D

The storage racks really help tons! I was shocked that they could fit so many clothes. :wideyed:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Haha, same here! :lol:
I ended up getting rid of half my bedroom furniture( which really was just wasting space anyway) for my three cages. Now they have half of the room, and everyone is happy. :D

I find these to be a great help to store clothes, if you decide to move the dresser in favor of putting a flight cage there.
( which I recommend, they really are amazing! )

Link: http://m.target.com/p/8-shelf-closet-organizer/-/A-12227062?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Storage+Organization+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Storage+Organization&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9012025&gclid=CN608tzh9swCFQEGaQodTx8Bmg&gclsrc=aw.ds
I got rid of a full dresser for Peanut's flight cage too. I replaced it with two small dressers on the opposite side of the room that stack if need be. Donated all the clothes I almost never wore to the Salvation Army, to the point everything I wear fits in one small dresser (the other dresser is filled with bird toys and food.:D)
I actually have space now for two flights in this bedroom with that over-large dresser gone. I'd get Peanut a playstand if she ever showed any inclination towards wanting to use one instead of continuing to occupy my computer desk.

Totally worth it. When I'm home she's always out (unless she chooses to fly back, the door is open) but I can't always be home.

Peanut has an A&E Flight.
Unfortunately this is the closest thing to a picture of Peanut in her cage on my photobucket right now. :lol:

Edit: And as you can see I still got the TV stand, videogame consoles, and computer desk in there. Behind me right now is a recliner that is about 6 inches away from my bed and the footrest basically touches the TV stand when I kick it out to nap.
And that pretty much sums up my priorities. :laugh: Bird, videogames, sleep.

Last edited:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I got rid of a full dresser for Peanut's flight cage too. I replaced it with two small dressers on the opposite side of the room that stack if need be. Donated all the clothes I almost never wore to the Salvation Army, to the point everything I wear fits in one small dresser (the other dresser is filled with bird toys and food.:D)
I actually have space now for two flights in this bedroom with that over-large dresser gone. I'd get Peanut a playstand if she ever showed any inclination towards wanting to use one instead of continuing to occupy my computer desk.

Totally worth it. When I'm home she's always out (unless she chooses to fly back, the door is open) but I can't always be home.

Peanut has an A&E Flight.
Unfortunately this is the closest thing to a picture of Peanut in her cage on my photobucket right now. :lol:
Aww! I just love photos of her! Such a sweet face she has. :xflove:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@Happynme lol we have the same cage lol Gracie loves her cage and all the doors to come out of. Weird thing she tries to get to her food dish from the outside sometimes. My husband has his own opinion of that. I just tell him to put a sock in it lol. She likes all the space and I have some more perches for her and toys I made for her that I need to put in there for her this weekend. See how she likes the new adjustments.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
What it boils down too...is what are you willing to sacrifice for your birds MENTAL PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL health?
Tiny cage would be like locking you in your closet with a toilet
Money being tight i get. But space....space can always be made. You could also put one cage on top of the other. Or stack other items going up towards your ceiling instead of out along wall space.
Personally if you have 300 to use. Get the 140 dollar cage and use the rest of it for toys to fill it up with (abirdtoy.com) has extremly reasonable prices...or use the money left to buy a tall skinny dresser and use the 4 feet of space to place gabbys cage.

I do think its great you removed him from being housed with kiwi and that you are wanting to get him a bigger cage...but please consider actually upgrading his living space and not just find something that will fit on your dresser .

Last edited:

IzzyBizzy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Liz
If you have $300 now is there any reason you can't, say, get the one Ankou mentioned now? The cage you describe is much, much less than ideal. Does Gabby get a lot of out time?
I'm not allowed. With my family moving, we need to stay decluttered. Im not even allowed to get 1 split tank so I can get rid of 2 tanks. (I hope you understand that) But don't worry as soon as Im in the newhouse Gabby is moving up!

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
This makes no sense. If it takes up the same amount of space what does it matter what house its in? It will clutter nothing if it replaces something that is already there.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
And if you have to wait months till you move why get a small cage for 100 and the have to save up again when you move for another cage. While what he is in now is insainly small...why not wait till you move then get the biggest cage you can afford if your family wont let you get it now

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's great that they inspire us to clear out the unneeded things! LOL. I need to go through my clothes and do some purging, too!

I believe potato bird wants to keep your desk as the ultimate play-stand! :D I've long wanted to get something more for mine, too, but they won't stay on them (I have a small tabletop stand, and I've tried. I usually end up with a bird on my head/face!)

Peanut pictures are so mushy-love! :)

And that pretty much sums up my priorities. :laugh: Bird, videogames, sleep.
I heartily approve! :thumbsup: