• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

G2 scared of my macaw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dani

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I brought home my baby macaw in Feb. He is set up in our dining room. The rest of the flock is in the bird room.

My G2 "Luna" is scared of Atlas and his huge cage. When I bring her out to hang out, she flies off my shoulder or off my hand, I can't even get close to Atlas or his cage or the dining room in general! Poor thing, I feel so bad for her. The other birds aren't scared and we can all enjoy out time together in the same area.

Nothing has happened between Luna and Atlas, so she is not scared because of an incident. She is a normal Too, big things scare her. How can I get her used to Atlas and his cage, if I can't even get her close enough to desensitize her?

I'm not asking her to be friends with Atlas, just not so scared of him so we can spend out time in the same area.
All advice or tips is appreciated! Thank you! :)

AngelGoffin

Sprinting down the street
Aw, that makes it so tough. I wish I could advise you but this is the sort of thing that I know would freak Angel out. She had a hard time with the budgies! :) I am sure someone will come along and offer you some tips on getting them accustomed to each other.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
How close does she let you get? If you can put a portable playstand in a nearby room where she can see him but be far enough away to not be scared, that might help. If she has a spot she feels safe and can watch him then she can eventually see that he's not a threat. When she's on the stand you can give her treats so she can have a positive association toward him.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most likely she will have to desensitize herself. If I were you, I'd set her up so she has the option of going over there on her own. Is there any reason she NEEDS to be in the dining room? If not, just go about life as normal and when she's ready to explore the dining room she will go over there on her own. Forcing her to be near him by constantly carrying her over does no good. It just teachers her that its really scary and when she comes out with you, your going to make her be close to something scary which isn't good for trust. My experience with scared cockatoos is you have to set them up in a no pressure situation where they can explore on their own. It would help if she's fully flighted in this case that way she isn't wondering around on the floor.
Melissa

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
My g2 is afraid of my littles, so I can't imagine putting her near a larger bird. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.