• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Future Blue and Gold Macaw mommy, need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aisia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Teresa
I am currently in talks with someone on re-homing their Blue and Gold Macaw to my home. I am not going into this blind. I am reading and resurrecting anything and everything Macaw. I am just wondering if there is anything anyone can tell me about them that you learn from owning one. Any tips, warnings, just ANYTHING lol. I want to give this girl the best home she can have since she hasn't had the best life. She is over 10yrs old.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Most Macaw species seem to be a beak oriented when communicating. Something to consider. They use their beak to communicate and expect you to not have any hurt feelings over it and they do very well if you use their own beak to help communicate with them (touching, playing with their beak) This is what makes macaws stand out, imo.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
B&G macaws can be very intimidating bluffers. Give her lots of time and space, do not push her to do things when you bring her home. I am wishing you the best.

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
You have a U2 and several 'tiels. If you don't already have filtration, you need to have a very good air filter unit because macaw respiratory systems are very vulnerable to 'too and 'tiel dust.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree with the Beakiness, the bluffing.... needing lots of time and patience and a definite on the airfilter with a Too's and Tiel's in the home.....

I think I did so well with Anna (B&G Rescue.... from bad previous homes)... my 1st bird.... I had NO expectations of her.... none.... I was willing to never be able to touch her, I just wanted her to have a good safe home with lots of light and stimulation, good food and attention... on her terms.... she came as a "viscious" biter.... she still bites hard from time to time but she has turned into such a sweetheart.....she is my baby... my velcro bird!

I think it is great that you are researching and learning everythign you can. I suppose my best advice is to give this baby lots of time to learn you, always be gentle and calm with her and take her as she comes. Life with B&G's is amazing... living with mine has been life changing for the better!
Keep us posted!

Be sure to check out Holiday's blogs... she is awwwwwesome.....

Avian Avenue Parrot Forum & Other Birds Message Board - Holiday - Blogs

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have tons of loving patience.....macaws will test you with their beak and if you react...they win and you will not be able to move forward with a relationship except one where your macaw is in charge.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I agree with what everyone has said:) They are BIG Bluffers and they will test You(with their lunging)If You show fear-They have You right where they want You:( I really do not believe that they want to act "Big&Bad" its just in their nature;)They actually can be Big ole Love sponges:heart::hug8:Good Luck to You:)

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
There are a lot that lunge just for the sheer joy of watching us jump and pee ourselves, then I had the pleasure of meeting one who really hated my guts and would've killed me if I came to close.

My advice would be to visit this bird often just to get a feel of how things can go, it also helps to have small pieces of shelled walnuts to give as treats. Bribery always works right off the bat.

I am like Bonnie I think the majority are big ol love sponges.

Keep us updated!:D

aisia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Teresa
I will keep you all updated. She will be here sometime Monday morning. I can't wait.

As for air purifiers, I have a total of 3 LOL. Asthma is a problem in my house, so we bought 3 purifiers because of the tiels and u2 and no one has had a problem yet. So hopefully it will be enough for the macaw as well.

My U2 has a nasty biting problem so I am use to very bad bites. 1 week ago, I got bit clear to the bone because she didn't want to go in her cage to sleep. :(
(even so, I love her to death and wouldn't give her up for the world, she is a huge cuddle bug)

From what I have been told, Chloe, the b&g is very sweet and loves everyone. She is already 16yr old. so maybe that helps a bit.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I think her age will help. And IME, B&G's tend to pinch (and twist, if they're trying to inflict pain), rather than give cutting bites.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It's almost Monday Morning... I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
A B&G should not be kept in the same room with a Too and Teils, even with air filters running.

Have the previous owner write a list of all the foods she loves/hates.

Same with a listing of toys she loves and destroys vs the ones she won't touch. This will save you a lot of $ if you buy a ton of stuffs she just won't use.

Try to learn every personality trait she has. What time does she like going to bed? Starting her day? Does she like kids, dogs, other animals? What is she afraid of and will start sounding the alarm?

Bribery is a great assest - use it to the fullest extent you can.

When she bluffs you with a bite and if she actually does follow through, it really is important to not react. If she doesn't get the reward she is looking for from you, she will have more respect for you. When you walk out the room then you can swear, cry or scream, just make sure she doesn't hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.