• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Furnace was just serviced...

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
It is oil.. and now when it kicks on it has a light smell.
There's isn't a vent in the bird room but there's one in the adjoining room
And it's starting to get cold. So I can't open window... they'll freeze..
I just moved to this place and my guys aren't just settling in.

I feel horrible because my lovebird died last night and I think it may be the furnace. But also I don't really know how old he was. I got him off craigslist in 2013. I just feel horrible I think the move and maybe the cold and the furnace did it. I don't know.
My other two are eating and active and seem fine but now I'm a wreck. I've never had a furnace before how long will this last????

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
New furnaces or parts definitely can emit fumes that are harmful to birds :( is there anywhere you could take them for a few days, or board them, while the fumes dissipate?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
No.
No new parts it was only serviced like to begin the year.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I can close the doors to the room and run an air purifier but I'm a afraid they'll get cold.
THe smell has to go away soon.... it's just because it's the first it's run thus season I believe and because It was serviced

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry about your lovebird! :sadhug2:
Is it just a dusty smell? Sometimes furnaces can smell dusty when they are first turned on at the start of the season. If it's oil then that might be more of a concern, but I'm not sure. Is there a friends hose they can stay for the day while you open the windows? Can you put a safe portable heater in there while you seal of the room and run the air purifier?

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
There's nowhere they can go.

I don't know what it smells like or ia supoosed to because I've never had a furnace before. I don't know how long this lasts. So I don't know if I seal the room and run the purifier and blast the furnace if that will get the smell out quicker.... I can open the windows too as it's in the 50s so not to open cold

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Close off the bird area. Block vents. Towel at bottom of the door etc. Then crank that furnace as high as it will go and let it run for a few hours. If it gets too hot open windows but keep it cranking.

Buy a small electric fan heater to temporarily keep the bird area warm. It's only for a day or so. Good to have in an emergency anyway.

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
Close off the bird area. Block vents. Towel at bottom of the door etc. Then crank that furnace as high as it will go and let it run for a few hours. If it gets too hot open windows but keep it cranking.

Buy a small electric fan heater to temporarily keep the bird area warm. It's only for a day or so. Good to have in an emergency anyway.
I should have asked this before I lost my lovebird.
I didn't know because I have never had a furnace.
There's no vent in the bird room anyways so I will probably need the heater. Are most electric fan heaters safe???

WilliamR

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
WilliamRobinson
Central heating systems are generally safe for birds. These include traditional furnaces and boilers, electric heat pumps, radiant baseboard heat, and radiant ceiling or floor heat. If you are installing a brand new system, however, check to make sure that venting is appropriate. While these systems are not normally coated with anything, it's hard to predict what will be coated these days, so it never hurts to ask your contractor like furnace repair service Morristown NJ if there are any nonstick or rust-proof coatings on your duct work or baseboards that could heat up and emit the same toxic chemicals that nonstick cookware does.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The safest heaters are the oil filled radiators, in my opinion. But most small electric or infrared heaters are OK, AFTER you run them for two hours outside when they are brand new. That way any coating put on the heater to keep it from rusting or whatever is burned off and then they are safe.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
When we had to have our gas furnace replaced this past winter the installer couldn't run it before he installed it but he did set up the vent to go out through the garage. Ran it high for about 2-3 hours.

We'd sealed all vents and exchanges in the family/bird room with that stick-on carpet protector. Put up plastic sheets over the doorways and the window between the kitchen and family room and ran a fan pointing from the kitchen out the side door.

We did something similar when the stove kicked the bucket but I also wiped down the oven with soap and water before we turned it on.