• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fun new dog work for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am pretty stoked and just had to share. Most of you know that I am a professional dog trainer and behavior consultant. I teach classes, give lectures and do a lot of writing about behavior and training. I get referred to by most vets in the area and so I do a lot of behavior consulting, but have been a little bit burned out on it and have been referring a lot of cases to behaviorist friends of mine.

Anyway, I also do board and train at a really beautiful upscale kennel in the area. It is the only board and train that is all science based and positive reinforcement training in the area. Most of the board and train around here is all outdated pack theory training and heavily punishment based. Well, I love the facility and the owners and staff there so decided that maybe I would do some classes there. When I told them that they built me the most beautiful huge fully fenced in and complete with synthetic grass (not like astroturf but like real grass) to do classes and my board and train at. I was so grateful that they would do that for me.

A few weeks ago I proposed enrichment activities for the dogs who are boarding and actually started them this week! People can order from an activities menu one or more activities for their dogs including agility for fun, find it (where they search and hunt for treats and toys), water games and trick training. I even added play groups with multiple dogs that are kept small in number and safe, unlike most of the ones around here that throw a bunch of dogs together (including dogs who are fearful and not enjoying themselves) with supervisors who know nothing about behavior or body language (grrrrrrrr............horrible for dogs). All the dogs are auditioned for their dog/dog behavior to be sure they are appropriate to be loose with other dogs so that everyone feels safe and comfortable.

I'm really excited as it is going great and the clients and dogs are loving it. :dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It sounds like a great program!

Matt

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations vicki sounds like you are doing what you love...:)think of all the people you are educating.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Congrats! Sounds like a great place.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
that is fantastic Vickie..wish there would be more like that

avianantics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Sounds fabulous. Where is it located? I often bring my Doberboy with me when I visit family in the SF Bay Area, and occasionally need to leave him somewhere safe for a day or two.

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
That's great...sounds like a win-win for you and the dogs. Congratulatons! And lucky you for finding such wonderful business partners.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Oh my gosh, that sounds GREAT!!

I have applied to some parttime doggy daycares in my area and they all use the "dominant"/"packleader" attitude with them all. When I told them during a couple interviews I had, I used positive reinforcment. I told them about my big dogs and dont use the bully methods, and they just smiled and never called me back... LOL..whatever:rolleyes:

If I was near you, I'd board my pooch with you! She is a gentle soul, but playful, but many of the younger dogs that we come across always want to bully her. I am glad there is a facility that does positive reinforcement and actually care about what dogs feel, etc.

Sounds perfect for you Vicki!:highfive::laughing12::dance4:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
That is excellent news. Gets you going and you sound so creative. I just love this. EVen after all these years there is still the old school hanging on out there. I bet the business really grows.

Got my new puppy training for flyball. Haven't done it for over a year now. Tug (tug a war) is a Chinese Crested powder puff with major toy drive which is great for flyball. Boy does he have energy and can he run. Just 11 weeks but boy is he ever driven. Love the spirit. Comes on command now also (yeah I know when he reaches teen years ...7 or 8 months old LOL) he will forget everything he learned. I hope to be racing him this time next year.

Peggy

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
It sounds like a great program!

Matt
Congratulations vicki sounds like you are doing what you love...:)think of all the people you are educating.
Congrats! Sounds like a great place.
Thanks guys! I am so excited about it.

that is fantastic Vickie..wish there would be more like that
Thanks. I wish there were too. It's really great for the dogs:)

Sounds fabulous. Where is it located? I often bring my Doberboy with me when I visit family in the SF Bay Area, and occasionally need to leave him somewhere safe for a day or two.
It's in Dublin, Dublin Creek Kennels.

That's great...sounds like a win-win for you and the dogs. Congratulatons! And lucky you for finding such wonderful business partners.
I feel very lucky. We all see eye to eye and I get to design the training programs and do the majority of the training and all the activities.

Oh my gosh, that sounds GREAT!!

I have applied to some parttime doggy daycares in my area and they all use the "dominant"/"packleader" attitude with them all. When I told them during a couple interviews I had, I used positive reinforcment. I told them about my big dogs and dont use the bully methods, and they just smiled and never called me back... LOL..whatever:rolleyes:

If I was near you, I'd board my pooch with you! She is a gentle soul, but playful, but many of the younger dogs that we come across always want to bully her. I am glad there is a facility that does positive reinforcement and actually care about what dogs feel, etc.

Sounds perfect for you Vicki!:highfive::laughing12::dance4:
Aw, that's so sweet. It makes me feel great to hear you say you would leave your dog in my care:) You are totally right, so many of them are NOT trainers or behaviorists but think they know ALL about it without any actual training or credentials. They still believe in outdated information that is not accurate instead of current, science based information. It is frustrating because they have dogs that are stressed out and have no business being in a big day care group. As soon as they start talking about dominance you know that they don't know what they are talking about. It's better that you didn't work there though, it would have driven you crazy.

That is excellent news. Gets you going and you sound so creative. I just love this. EVen after all these years there is still the old school hanging on out there. I bet the business really grows.

Got my new puppy training for flyball. Haven't done it for over a year now. Tug (tug a war) is a Chinese Crested powder puff with major toy drive which is great for flyball. Boy does he have energy and can he run. Just 11 weeks but boy is he ever driven. Love the spirit. Comes on command now also (yeah I know when he reaches teen years ...7 or 8 months old LOL) he will forget everything he learned. I hope to be racing him this time next year.

Peggy
Thank you! You are right about the old school stuff out there but it IS changing and people are learning more about science based training. Tug sounds great! I really like CCs!!

Big.Green.Chicken

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Anna
Congratulations! It sounds absolutely fabulous and I know you will do well

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Dublin is nice and close. I am from and stay in Livermore. Next time I am *home* will have to visit and check it out.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Congrats Vicki!:highfive: That sounds rewarding and exciting! It must be great to do something you love for a living. I wish I could find someone to work with me on a couple issues with Heartly. He is sweet, he is smart, real good natured, but stubborn on a few points, and neurotic about running the fence with noisy cars/vehicles. I know the latter is not a healthy thing.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's awesome! Sounds like a great opportunity for you and the dogs. Big congrats!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Congrats Vicki!:highfive: That sounds rewarding and exciting! It must be great to do something you love for a living. I wish I could find someone to work with me on a couple issues with Heartly. He is sweet, he is smart, real good natured, but stubborn on a few points, and neurotic about running the fence with noisy cars/vehicles. I know the latter is not a healthy thing.

I am of the belief that dogs are not stubborn. That's just a label that we use when we haven't yet been able to figure out how to train something or properly motivate the dog. Dogs don't intentionally not do something or do something just to frustrate us. When Heartly is fence fighting or chasing he isn't even cognitive, he is limbic, highly emotional and that is why he can't respond.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I agree with you. Especially the not cognitive part.:o: It is never aggressive though, as in, if he were out with the vehicles, it's not like he's a tire biter or anything. It's like he loves to run, and wants them to challenge him and he wins! We have a trough that he has run across the front fence, with what I call his 'shortstop mound'. It's a huge pile where the sand has built up at the end, from where he comes to an abrupt stop. Every few weeks I take a shovel and level it back out. It gets so high he could almost step right over the fence..lol.:p

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I agree with you. Especially the not cognitive part.:o: It is never aggressive though, as in, if he were out with the vehicles, it's not like he's a tire biter or anything. It's like he loves to run, and wants them to challenge him and he wins! We have a trough that he has run across the front fence, with what I call his 'shortstop mound'. It's a huge pile where the sand has built up at the end, from where he comes to an abrupt stop. Every few weeks I take a shovel and level it back out. It gets so high he could almost step right over the fence..lol.:p
Do you do any chase type games with him? That might really give him a great outlet for that.

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
Vicki, This sounds so cool! I really wish I could find a trainer like you to hold classes at my pet spa.

Status
Not open for further replies.