• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Full spectrum lighting on a double stack cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I am going to get a double stack cage soon and was wondering how to go about making sure both top (I have and avian lamp--zoomed currently.) and bottom cages are getting the proper lighting. Anyone have any suggestions can the light come in from the upper side og a cage or does it have to be comming down from the top, which is the dilema for the bottom cage. Anyone dealt with this and have suggestions?:confused:
Thanks

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would mount the lights on the wall and let them shine from the side.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Ok. So that would be ok? I know the zoo med light said to have it come from the top. That makes me feel much better! Thanks John!:dance4:

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
You can do as john said or one idea I had was to go buy a strip light for a fish tank (some people give them away for free as well!) and buy a FS bulb. Pretty much the grow bulbs they use in aquariums for plants, and mount it on the wall behind the cage to shine in.
I would also recomend getting a timer for your lights. Its nice to not have to be able to turn them on/off everyday and its a plus to have the birds on a schedual.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don't use the little zoomed lights so am not familiar with how much light they put out. I use the 4ft fluorescent lights which are plenty bright no matter where you mount them.

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
My personal suggestion is to not use a double stack cage for a few different reasons. Some debris from the top cage has a way of winding up in your bottom cage. Also the birds on the bottom get stressed somewhat from the activity going on above them. Thirdly, full spectrum lighting is best from the top (from all I have read and personally experienced with my own flock). Would you want lighting shinning in your eyes from the side if you were a bird (unless you constantly looked in the other directions).

Instead of a double stack cage I would use two cages side by side (or one cage with a divider) if at all possible wherever you can find/make room (hang them/it if you have to is my suggestion). Put the F.S. Lighting above the cage for most natural conditions and least stress on the birds.

Aquarium lighting, plant lighting, reptile lighting has been reported in different articles are not being proper for birds. Instead I suggest you purchase a linear fluorescent 4 ft. fixture with good quality F.S. tubes in it. This fixture is your standard white shop-light fixture with downward reflector (can buy in Home Depot) with extension cord that you simply plug into a wall outlet.

Make sure you get a fixture that uses an electronic ballast, not a magnetic one.

F.S. tubes that I recommend and use myself (along with many other members of some of these Internet bird chat boards) are the Phillips F32T8TL950 tubes with CRI rating of 98 and K temp. of 5000 - you can find these and order them on-line, I don't believe H.D. carries them.

For further possibly useful info. on the subject, I suggest that you use the search feature on this board (& on other boards) and read all the posts on the subject in order to come to a decision that is best for your birds.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Oh! I need the double stack top/bottom due to space!! When I brought home my hybrid hubby was not too happy with me and Wants some space in here!! SO it would not work from the side??:confused:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If you have to have a double stacker cage, you will need a light that shines on the bottom cage. :) I plan on having fluorescent bird lightnings installed on the wall, 3ft from the stacker cages.

Just make sure they get plenty of out of cage time, where the bird who is kept on the bottom, can have the chance to be up higher too :)

When we get the double and triple stackers, we plan on rotating the birds that are on the bottom to the top. :)

trout

Real Name
Bobby
haha, I wish I had that kind of say. :hehe:

If you use a plain fluorescent bulb there's no reason I could see why it wouldn't work. It outputs the light all around so it doesn't matter where it is.

What brand are you using now?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
haha, I wish I had that kind of say. :hehe:

If you use a plain fluorescent bulb there's no reason I could see why it wouldn't work. It outputs the light all around so it doesn't matter where it is.

What brand are you using now?
When you have a stacker cage, the cage on the bottom is dark :( There will need to be a light near the ground that will be able to brighten up the bottom cage.:)

trout

Real Name
Bobby

When you have a stacker cage, the cage on the bottom is dark :( There will need to be a light near the ground that will be able to brighten up the bottom cage.:)
sorry, meant it doesn't matter where you place it, placing it to the side of the cage would be fine, doesn't have to be directly above.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have used 4 ft shop light electric ballast type and full spectrum bulb hanging verticle down the wall for the bottom cage and another one down from the ceiling for the top cage...You can "block" some lighting for the bird if you want by hanging toys on that lighted end...I have watched my birds on the bottom cages and never really saw any difference in their play/sleep time vs the top bird...some birds even hung out closer to that side of the light.....I always had at least 4 shop lights per room for my birds.... My ceiling were 9 ft and the windows were approx. 6 ft high by 34 inch wide:hug8:

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Thanks all, where would I get the suggested lighting at?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I'm sorry I don't know what a Zoo med light is...
The reason I had the lighting was to make sure they could see EVERYTHING in their rooms...birds see different than we do and just a light around their cage puts the rest of the room in the shadows....I didn't have birds screaming or doing fright flights because of going on in the house/rooms/outside....
As for shop lights/ full spectrum lighting....Lowe's is where I got mine....:hug8:

trout

Real Name
Bobby
I got my fixtures at Lowe's but my bulbs at Home Depot. For the size I have (24" T12) the Phillips bulbs had a better color temp & CRI.

You want to make sure you get a fixture with an electronic ballast to eliminate the flicker that's just barely visible to humans.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Thanks Bobby. I will go look at both places. Do the bulbs say full spectrum?

trout

Real Name
Bobby
Thanks Bobby. I will go look at both places. Do the bulbs say full spectrum?

I don't think the do, they say something like "Daylight"

Look for bulbs with a color temp more than 5500k and a CRI over 90.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Yes! I have the Sylvania sunstick (DSGN50)* Lowes Similar to GE Sunshine Blub * Home Depot(chroma50) Both of these blubs has a color rendering index (CRI of 90) and a color temperature of 5000K
I bought mine in cases of 10 each....
You want to change out about 6-8 months...
I have found a difference in me also by using these in the house...:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.