• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fruit fly traps that actually work?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I currently have a bunch of fruit flies in my apartment and my GCC screams every time he sees one. I'm trying to get rid of them so he can stop screaming lol I've tried the little apple traps but no flies were in it after I had it set up for over a week. I know my options are limited because of the birds. Has anyone found a good way to get rid of them? Thanks!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Leave out a glass with an nth of something in the bottom (even vinegar) and see what you catch. Place them in different places in your apartment to see who's infesting what areas.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I just use a little container of water with a few drops of lemon dish soap (Sunlight). They usually go right in and drown. I also rinse my bananas as soon as I get them home as I read that the fruit fly eggs come in on the bananas. Since I've been doing this I haven't had any fruit flies in a few years. And I keep a compost bucket on the kitchen counter (with a tight fitting lid). It gets dumped and scrubbed once or twice a week.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It doesn't have to be fancy. Some have made home made fruit-fly traps out of small soda bottle. You cut of the top with the neck, invert it into the bottle, tape in place and put any type of liquid in the bottom. Set them out and see what your catch.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I just made my friend a fly trap last week and it caught like 50 of them. I put apple cider vinegar in the microwave for almost a minute to make it smell more potent.

Then I put dish soap in (the trick is the dish soap cause once they go in they can't come out) and diluted it with a tad bit of water just to make it bubble on top.

I used about a 1/4 cup acv, about 6 drops of soap, and about 3 tablespoons of high pressure water.

I refreshed it every day and kept catching them till they were gone. Took 3 days to kill everything.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use an empty canned veggie can, put ACV or old wine in the bottom, a couple drops of dish soap, and then rubberband plastic wrap on top. I use a toothpick to make very small holes in it. I then throw it in the freezer when its full to kill off any that didn;t drown and toss the hole thing.