• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

From Sitter to Guardian

Remi

Moving in
Hello all. My bestfriend passed away 12/8/17 after battling cancer 3 times. Through most of his hospital bids and prior to the big C, any travels I have always cared for his White Crowned Pionus female who I believe will be 21 according to her band. Next is a male Cockatoo who had 2 previous owners but seemed to take to me since we first met 3 years ago. Now his band is hard to trace and starts with 2 letters followed by 4 numbers starting with 0. And last is a female IRN who's rather wild but will take apples from me and she was his last rescue before he fell into the hospital in August. So he didn't have much time with her and I collected everyone to be sure of their safety. I have a family of finches and a Cockatiel.
Main concern solid orange band of Cockatoo. Can anyone help?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I can’t Help you but I am sure other people here can. I just wanted to say I am very sorry you lost your vest friend and that I am very thankfull you took all his birds in:heart::hug8:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
So Sorry about your friend. :sadhug:Thank you for taking in his birds, whether to add to your flock or to find safe homes for them. I am sure he appreciates you doing that very much as his birds likely meant a great deal to him.

How fortunate that you are familiar to the birds and have a relationship with them already. I am glad they will be well cared for; your friend's passing must be very hard on them, too.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry about the loss of your friend. :( I can’t answer your question about the band, but it’s wonderful you are looking after his birds.
:hug8:

Remi

Moving in
Thank you. The Pionus I feel suffers his loss the most, Snoball the Cockatoo typical requires as much of my attention or me wirhin his visual sight as he can get. But I have to say having them here is having my best friend with me. Thus I am Guardian not owner.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It sounds like this situation will be therapeutic for all of you. :)

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
:welcome2:So sorry about the loss of your best friend. It's great that you've taken his birds in and that they're familiar already with you. Not sure about the band, but others will chime in.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Thanks for taking them in. I'm sure it gave your friend comfort to know they'd be cared for upon his passing.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Your friend was lucky to have someone like you! I can see the pionus taking it hard. Mine is very bonded to me, and sooo sensitive. And you noticed that — so you’re going to be a great parront, if that’s what you decide to do. :hug8:

Welcome to the Avenue!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome very sorry for your loss

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you for joining here and caring for these grieving birds. Countries are assigned colors for leg hands on birds. This web page states orange is from Bolivia. So this bird was a wild bird at one time.

Leg Banding | Beauty of Birds

There are no cockatoos indigenous to Bolivia, so that's a conundrum. Someone's former pet from there that was brought to the states?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. So sorry that you lost your friend. Thank you for taking his birds into your home. Can you post the numbers and letters on the band?
There is a yahoo group for bird bands. I believe you have to send them a request to join.
Thread on AA about bands: A List of Breeders and Band Numbers | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Remi

Moving in

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! And I'm sorry for your loss.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@Remi I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend, and I hope you can find more info regarding the leg band! Thank goodness your friend had you as a best friend. When my best friend died in 93, the best thing I read when reading tons of books on grief was; "Someone must go on where the two of you left off"... (and it can't be your friend, so it must be you, of course) I can see how much of a comfort it would be to have his sweet birdies. That's wonderful.