• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Friend's parrotlet ingested a small piece of green masking tape

PeteyPrtlt

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a friend that I was talking to about their parrotlet and he told me that his bird ingested a small piece of green masking tape. He said he wasn't able to get it out of his bird's beak and I am concerned that it might cause blockage in their bird's intestine or get stuck in their crop and cause issues. I would like to know if anyone else has had this happen to their bird. I am going to tell him when I talk to him tomorrow that I think they should contact their Veterinarian. Meanwhile, please let me know if anyone has had this happen with a foreign body and did their bird have to get it removed surgically?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
How long ago did the bird ingest it? If it was just one piece and small enough to swallow it's not likely to cause any problems. Multiple pieces could be more concerning, though my worry would be potential toxicity of the adhesive used on the tape. I'm finding a lot of conflicting information, but it looks like Scotch brand masking tape is non-toxic. Your friend should definitely keep an eye on the bird's behavior and I do agree that they should call the vet and ask about it just to be safe, but I think the p'let will be okay.

My starling found and swallowed a 1" cut of acrylic yarn a few months ago. The vet offices had all already closed and it was a stressful few hours that followed, but he passed it no problem.

PeteyPrtlt

Checking out the neighborhood
How long ago did the bird ingest it? If it was just one piece and small enough to swallow it's not likely to cause any problems. Multiple pieces could be more concerning, though my worry would be potential toxicity of the adhesive used on the tape. I'm finding a lot of conflicting information, but it looks like Scotch brand masking tape is non-toxic. Your friend should definitely keep an eye on the bird's behavior and I do agree that they should call the vet and ask about it just to be safe, but I think the p'let will be okay.

My starling found and swallowed a 1" cut of acrylic yarn a few months ago. The vet offices had all already closed and it was a stressful few hours that followed, but he passed it no problem.
Hi, I didn't think I had received a reply, so thank you! My friend contacted their vet and the vet isn't concerned because it was a small piece of tape, about the size of a safflower seed. The vet did say for them to keep an eye on their bird for behavior like what you had said. You had said your starling swallowed a piece of yarn? At first, he mentioned it and then through the night it kept me awake thinking what if this tape is toxic and can cause blockage. His bird hasn't done this before with tape, and he has owned this bird for over 10 years. He has removed any kind of masking tape from sight. Thanks again!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You can feed some almond butter to help move any small foreign objects pass through the birds system. Best to also inspect droppings to see if the item is passed.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
One night Rudy bit the syringe tip off during medication and swallowed it. Gave hm peanut butter as @Shezbug advises above. I smeared his morning poop with my fingertip (gloves if you like) and found the cylindrical tip

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yea, poop smear,,that'll find it..