• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Free flying B&G!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicky Chai Tea

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vicky
It was pretty, but also pretty irresponsible. He put the bird in a LOT of danger just to get some ok footage, or to do something he liked. He's either not taking the safety of the bird into account or just ignoring it so he can do something cool.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I wish more people did it! Although probably more safer means, like out in the country where there is no other traffic. But I have heard of people running, riding a bike or biking and their birds following. They must feel like they are flying with their mate. Its just so beautiful.

I personally do not think its "irresponsible" just not all the way thought out. Better to be fully flighted, fly free outside and yet have your bird come back to you vs cage bound, house bound and clipped. Its a win win situation for both the bird and the man. I think its marvelous.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
as much as i would miss mine i wish they could all be with a flock in the wild:heart:
Me too, Tanya. I sometimes think how much happier that would be living in the wild, where they belong to, not in our, un-natural for them, homes. :(

Great video, but it made me nervous. What if that macaw got scared and tried to land on a guy face or on the bike? I am sure they did a lot of practicing w/out the bike first, but my imagination still worked too well picturing a bad accident.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
I just saw this video today! Wow it was extraordinary! What an incredible feeling it must be to fly like that! I was a little nervous myself especially at the end when it looked like the BG was ready to land but couldn't quite coordinate with the speed of the bike or vice versa. But wow, that was incredible!

Vicky Chai Tea

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vicky
I wish more people did it! Although probably more safer means, like out in the country where there is no other traffic. But I have heard of people running, riding a bike or biking and their birds following. They must feel like they are flying with their mate. Its just so beautiful.

I personally do not think its "irresponsible" just not all the way thought out. Better to be fully flighted, fly free outside and yet have your bird come back to you vs cage bound, house bound and clipped. Its a win win situation for both the bird and the man. I think its marvelous.
If by "fully flighted and free" you mean being outside unrestrained in the middle of the road with the danger of being hit by a car or motorcycle, making a mistake mid-flight and falling/getting run over, getting spooked and flying into something or getting hit by a car, being caught/killed by a stray dog/bird of prey, or just plain out deciding to fly away and starve to death is better than being cage bound and clipped... then I suggest you rethink what you said.

I do not mean to offend anybody, but this guy is putting the LIFE of his bird in danger to show off. Not something I like.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If by "fully flighted and free" you mean being outside unrestrained in the middle of the road with the danger of being hit by a car or motorcycle, making a mistake mid-flight and falling/getting run over, getting spooked and flying into something or getting hit by a car, being caught/killed by a stray dog/bird of prey, or just plain out deciding to fly away and starve to death is better than being cage bound and clipped... then I suggest you rethink what you said.

I do not mean to offend anybody, but this guy is putting the LIFE of his bird in danger to show off. Not something I like.
I think you need to reread my post. YES this isnt thought out well. There are better means to free flight like not in town and around cars. Free flight needs to be fully thought to be safe.

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan
That was so amazing! I did feel nervous through out the entire video though.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
but this guy is putting the LIFE of his bird in danger to show off. Not something I like.
I feel that way too. Too dangerous for a bird to fly like that, along a regular road.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
The discussion about the macaws preferring to be flying free is interesting but most of my macaws are fully flighted and allowed to be free in my backyard (supervised) even when the wild macaw flock is visiting. They choose not to either go with them or fly because they want to be pets . Lucky bird (b&g)did go off with the wild flock for three days but then came home. Guess she didn't like the guy.

cmoore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
cmoore
Vicky Chai Tea, what gives you the impression that this guy's bird was going to fly away and not come back? The bird looked like it was having a ball, and never allowed itself to get very far from its human companion. They clearly have a good relationship, and the bird clearly has excellent flight skills. The likelihood of it getting lost or running into something seems fairly slim to me. It looks like there is almost no traffic on the road, so it seems like it's an ideal time for the guy to take his bird out flying.

There are many responsible people who free-fly their birds outdoors. These are not just pet bird owners who decide it's a good idea one day (which certainly IS irresponsible); these are people who have trained and prepared for months or years to get their bird ready for outdoor flight.

Letting a pet bird outdoors without that preparation is certainly reckless and possibly cruel. Free-flying a bird with the proper preparations and precautions is neither of those things: it is, in fact, one of the kindest things a person can do for her parrot, since it is what parrots were built to do.

You mentioned in a comment on another post that you think keeping flighted birds as pets is dangerous and irresponsible. In fact, I would argue that allowing my parrots to be flighted and teaching them good flight skills makes them much safer than they would be if they were clipped. They can escape danger much more effectively, should they get into it (inside the house or out). If they do manage to get loose outdoors, they have a much better chance of surviving if they can fly into a tree and know how to fly down safely. They're stronger and healthier because they fly regularly - a few minutes of flight gives a bird more exercise than a clipped bird gets in an entire day. Flight also exercises their brains, since they have more choices and have to make more decisions than a clipped bird.

Saying that free-flying a parrot is cruel is like saying that herding dogs should never get to work sheep or cattle because it's dangerous. Yes, dogs can get hurt while herding, but doing what they are biologically designed to do makes the animal so happy that it's worth the risk. The same is true for parrots.

Yes, having flighted birds is risky. But life is risky. It's all about finding the balance between taking risks and giving our birds fulfilling, exciting, enjoyable lives. You and I clearly find that balance in different ways, but that doesn't mean that my decisions are irresponsible. I assure you that most people who keep flighted parrots have thought hard about their decision and have taken precautions to keep their parrots safe.

Vicky Chai Tea

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Vicky
Having any pet unrestrained outdoors is dangerous. I wouldn't condone someone letting their dog run around off leash outdoors, letting their cat run around outside unsupervised or not fenced in, and I certainly don't like people letting their birds fly around unrestrained when not in an aviary. It's dangerous and unnecessary. It's putting the animal in a lot of danger, and it's not fair.

I will not deny that being able to fly has it's benefits. But the dangers outweigh them. I would rather have a safe clipped bird than a dead one, you know?

Daria, I can tell that you care about your birds but what you're doing is very dangerous. Any manner of horrible things could have happened in the 3 days that your bird left. That alone should be a warning that your birds aren't safe outdoors like that.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Having any pet unrestrained outdoors is dangerous. I wouldn't condone someone letting their dog run around off leash outdoors, letting their cat run around outside unsupervised or not fenced in, and I certainly don't like people letting their birds fly around unrestrained when not in an aviary. It's dangerous and unnecessary. It's putting the animal in a lot of danger, and it's not fair.

I will not deny that being able to fly has it's benefits. But the dangers outweigh them. I would rather have a safe clipped bird than a dead one, you know?

Daria, I can tell that you care about your birds but what you're doing is very dangerous. Any manner of horrible things could have happened in the 3 days that your bird left. That alone should be a warning that your birds aren't safe outdoors like that.
Why do you think the birds will just fly away. What makes you think its not properly trained?

You should not be so prejudice. You should be fully educated on the pros and the cons, not just what you think you know and understand on the subject, but really research it before saying its not safe to have a flighted bird. As most of avian avenue would disagree with you.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/airport/3838-do-you-have-full-flight-birds.html

Sure many people who have flighted birds will not free fly their birds outside, free flying outdoors is NOT for everyone, but NO ONE should down it or say its irresponsible when you have no idea what the birds have been trained to do or not to do and what the owners do to prevent mishaps from happening. From thorough indoor flight training, recall training, learning about the weathers and the winds and how they affect flying birds, learning predator routes and about their feeding patterns, etc. There is so much put into it.

I really believe you should read that link I just provided, and if you want to add an opinion after you have read it all and know 100% of both sides, go right ahead.:)

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Geez, I didn't want this to turn into pros and cons of clipping or free flight. I just thought it was beautiful! Maybe, if you want to debate it move to the link Mercedez provided.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Those 3 days when Lucky Bird was missing were the worst days of my life. Lucky Bird is now clipped as I can't trust her as I do my other macaws. If there is such a thing as a "R" worded macaw , it's Lucky Bird. When Littlebird, her pal, was in the avian hospital for that bound egg` Lucky Bird couldn't figure out how to come down to the bottom as she has been doing for 16 years with Littlebird leading the way, I had to open the window on the top of the aviary (25 feet) to get her. I agree completely that macaws raised in captivity lack survival skills. This summer I met a boater who fished out a macaw from the bay. The guards called me to help and I'm happy to report Robert (the boater) has become as avid macaw lover/owner` He did try to find the owner but no one claimed her. He brings Ginger (the macaw) over every once in a while to visit.

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
I loved that video! I wish I could take Jacob out for a ride like that. Like I used to do with my dog. I would go on trails on my mountain bike and my dog would run and run to her hearts content just like that B&G did.

so yeah I agree with everything cmoore and Mercedez have said... :D

Bunkybird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Trish
gave me chillbumps....wouldn't we all love to see our birds enjoying flight like that? :heart: will never happen for my little Senegal so I do the best I can loving my 'fid' :hug8:

jeanna

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Wow, that was amazing and beautiful to watch! Really makes me think about how much our pet birds are missing by being in captivity.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
A certain amount depends on where you are. We have no other information on this bird in flight other than the video. Many people in Mexico/South America and Central America have pet macaws. Some are just drop ins who have decided to stay because they like what they saw. This bird has amazing flying skills, knows to go to a wire for turns. Just riding the bike is different where he is from and different way of life. There are many things we as Americans do that those from other countries just shake their heads at.

I enjoyed the video. The bird most certainly looked happy and he knows he can leave whenever he wants to. His timing was also better than the biker...bird knew when it really was time to land. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.