• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

! FOUND ! Need some good thoughts...

Verivus

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Chrissy
Rico got out of the house an hour ago. I tried to call after him and get him back, but I'm sure he was scared and confused and just kept flying. I tried to follow him, but eventually I lost sight of him. I walked around yelling his name until I had blisters from my sandals that I was in when I ran outside. I've called the Humane Society, Animal Control, and the nearby exotic vet to file a lost pet report in case anyone calls about a missing bird, and I posted on CL in Lost & Found and the Pets section.

I'm so beside myself and heartbroken right now. I can't even think. My poor bird is outside, lost, scared, probably hot and soon hungry. It's windy right now. It'll be dark in a few hours. He doesn't know anything about being in the outside world. What is he going to do? I hope he can find some food. I hope I find him soon. I hope somebody is able to find him, but he is skittish with strangers. I've been in tears nonstop. I have a work project due in 10 hours and I can't even bother with it right now.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Oh no!!!! dont forget to put up flyers, even hand made ones..at local supermarkets etc hopeyou find him very very soon!!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Is they any way you can move his cage outside? Leave food and water? I am sorry your bird got out, hope you can find him soon. :hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Yes, put his cage outside with food and water. And tell everyone! Tell all the neighbors, put up fliers and it wouldn't hurt to put it up on parrotalert either.

I'm so sorry you are going through this and I hope you have him back soon!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Don't give up many birds that are flighted have been found knowing they can go to People. :hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! I'm praying so hard that your able to find your baby boy :hug8:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Post on parrot alert, craigslist, your FB, and any other places you can think.

Walk/drive to every area there's people, post posters and tell everyone you see. The more people who know the better your chances are.

Go to every petstore/vet in the surrounding area. Post posters there. If found someone may take him to a vet, or stop to by food/cage.

Don't give up! More often than not someone finds lost birds. Praying they have heard of you, and get him back home.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Sending lots of good thoughts your way, hope your baby is home safely with you soon. :hug8::hug8:

Post a lost ad on either one (or both) of these Parrotalert: Lost and Found Parrots / Birds - Parrot / Bird Reporting and Alerting Register and 911parrotalert: Reuniting Lost & Found Birds/Parrots - 911ParrotAlert

I thought I would pass this on too:

Here are some other ideas and contacts. If a person finds your bird, they may contact one of these organizations or see your poster or advertisement.

• Call animal control.
• Call local veterinarians.
• Call local zoos.
• Call local pet shops. Speak with the managers and let them know. Sometimes people find birds and try to sell them for quick cash.
• Call local police.
• Place a LOST ad in your area newspaper(s). If you offer a reward, it may increase the chances of your bird’s return. Post signs in local veterinarians’ offices, pet stores, and apartment bulletin boards (usually near the mailboxes areas). Have your kids post signs on the school’s bulletin board. Post signs anywhere you think they’ll be noticed. You may also wish to offer a reward as incentive for people to call.
• Check the classified section of the paper for “found” bird. Answer all ads. People are sometimes unaware of what they have found. A Congo African grey may be mistaken for the mythical red tailed pigeon by a helpful stranger who is unfamiliar with parrots.
• Contact your area animal rescue/shelters and have them put your bird on file. Make sure they have a way to contact you. Call them every few days to make sure you keep it fresh in their minds. Be sure to ask how long they keep a lost animal on file and be sure to call back and relist your bird if you’re still looking for him/her.
• Contact any local breeders and let them know about your lost bird. Again, sometimes people find birds and try to sell them for quick cash.
• Check with local golf courses and leave a flyer with them. Birds have been known to land on a golfer's head and, recently, a parakeet landed on a tennis player's head on the court.

On all posters/flyers, ads, etc., make sure you mention how your bird is family to you (and your children). Stress how much you care for your bird and it may help to persuade someone who may not initially intend on returning a found bird to contact you.

Tape a flyer on each side of your car’s back windows. Then, as you drive around looking for the bird and handing out flyers, people will see a rolling advertisement. People will notice and stop to ask. It is an especially good idea if you think your bird is still in the area.

Note: Don’t give out the bird’s band number. If your bird accidentally falls into the wrong hands this could lead to removal of the band.

Most of all, do not give up The key to getting a bird back is perseverance. Do not accept that you will not get the bird back once you have lost sight of him or her. As a professional bird trainer that free flies many types of birds on a regular basis, Parrots are often the easiest type of bird to locate and recover. Thankfully our parrots often seek out human or bird companionship if and when they have a big flight adventure.

Additional tips for finding your lost parrot AROUND HOME:
Search for your bird in your neighborhood. During the first month, birds tend to stay within a one-mile radius of home. Spread the word to neighbors and neighborhood children that your bird has escaped and let them know what your bird looks like.

If you have any outside pets your bird doesn’t like or fears, be sure to bring them inside so they won’t scare your bird away.

AROUND YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD:
Keep in touch with your neighbors. Make sure they know how to contact you if they even THINK they’ve heard or seen him/her. It’s quite possible that once your bird gets hungry, s/he will go to any human. Make sure you post signs (at least in a one-mile radius near where your bird escaped) describing your bird and giving contact information.

Verivus

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Chrissy
Thank you very much everyone. I will do everything suggested. I just walked through the nearby park playing his contact call, which is a squeaky toy noise on my phone, hoping he was there, but no luck. Once my roommate is back with my car (I've been lending it to him for work, since I lost my job 1.5 weeks ago) I will go make copies of the flier I made because, of course, my printer is freaking broken right now. This has just been a very bad month for me.

**UPDATE**

RICO IS FOUND!! My roommate came rushing home once he got my text message, ditching his activities route, and we went down the street behind our house and we heard him respond to the squeaky toy noise. He heard us, but flew to our next door neighbor's house so we ran over there. Our neighbor's front yard is completely fenced in with 6 foot chain link, so we couldn't just hop the fence, but thankfully they heard our ruckus outside and let us in. Rico flew to my roommate (his best friend) and we brought him home!!!

Total outside time: 3 hours. Worst 3 hours of my LIFE. Rico seems happy to be home. He was thirsty and hungry, but is okay! Thanks everyone for the advice and support!

Last edited:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Rico got out of the house an hour ago. I tried to call after him and get him back, but I'm sure he was scared and confused and just kept flying. I tried to follow him, but eventually I lost sight of him. I walked around yelling his name until I had blisters from my sandals that I was in when I ran outside. I've called the Humane Society, Animal Control, and the nearby exotic vet to file a lost pet report in case anyone calls about a missing bird, and I posted on CL in Lost & Found and the Pets section.

I'm so beside myself and heartbroken right now. I can't even think. My poor bird is outside, lost, scared, probably hot and soon hungry. It's windy right now. It'll be dark in a few hours. He doesn't know anything about being in the outside world. What is he going to do? I hope he can find some food. I hope I find him soon. I hope somebody is able to find him, but he is skittish with strangers. I've been in tears nonstop. I have a work project due in 10 hours and I can't even bother with it right now.
Be strong right now. Leave no stone unturned to get him back. Go door to door. Talk to every neighborhood kid. Take his travel crate out there with food in it. We had a case of a member who got her bird back after 24 hours. You can do this!

Last edited:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you very much everyone. I will do everything suggested. I just walked through the nearby park playing his contact call, which is a squeaky toy noise on my phone, hoping he was there, but no luck. Once my roommate is back with my car (I've been lending it to him for work, since I lost my job 1.5 weeks ago) I will go make copies of the flier I made because, of course, my printer is freaking broken right now. This has just been a very bad month for me.

**UPDATE**

RICO IS FOUND!! My roommate came rushing home once he got my text message, ditching his activities route, and we went down the street behind our house and we heard him respond to the squeaky toy noise. He heard us, but flew to our next door neighbor's house so we ran over there. Our neighbor's front yard is completely fenced in with 6 foot chain link, so we couldn't just hop the fence, but thankfully they heard our ruckus outside and let us in. Rico flew to my roommate (his best friend) and we brought him home!!!

Total outside time: 3 hours. Worst 3 hours of my LIFE. Rico seems happy to be home. He was thirsty and hungry, but is okay! Thanks everyone for the advice and support!
So glad to hear this!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
yay I am so glad you found Rico.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
So happy Rico is home!!!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love happy endings! :D

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
What a relief! Happy to hear he's home and well.