• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found an injured pigeon

notThtDeep

Moving in
Hi....I found a pigeon. Seems to be blind in both eyes. What do you think is the cause for its blindness? Is it a disease or someone injured it? Is it permanently blind? I also have 2 cockatiels (which I am keeping separate), so I hope it's nothing contagious. If it's an injury, any ideas how come it got injured in both of its eyes?

Attachments

Last edited:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That definitely doesn't look like an injury to me... Is there anywhere you can keep it that's not in your house? Have you called a rehabber?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Looks like an infection though it could be anything.

Take the pigeon to the vet to be treated as soon as possible. He will likely need meds that the vet will be able to give you.

Keep this bird well away from your birds. Thorough handwashing and clothes changes between entering each others zones and handling the two.

notThtDeep

Moving in
That definitely doesn't look like an injury to me... Is there anywhere you can keep it that's not in your house? Have you called a rehabber?
The bird is on a different floor from the other birds, so it should be fine for now. I'll take precautions.
I'll try finding a rehabber in my area as you suggested.

notThtDeep

Moving in
[Update]

I asked a vet and he said it is a viral skin infection and is contagious to other birds. He gave me a prescription (apply neosporin skin ointment after cleaning the wound with betadine solution). After a few days, one of his eyes has opened.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Nice update. Happy to see he's getting better!

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I'd be very weary of bringing in a sick bird into your home when you have other birds. I'm glad the pigeon is getting better.