• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found abandoned kittens

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Young kittens who should still be with mom usually will eat canned food easily. You can also get kitten replacement formula at Walmart, pet stores and vet's. When bottle raising kittens though I tried to get them on canned food as soon as I could, and get them lapping formula.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Some people are disgusting! :mad: The fact that you could catch them means they aren't feral, they were in somebody's care. So a so-called "animal" person who keeps a cat would just discard kittens like garbage! Absolutely disgusting! :mad::mad: So glad you found them in time and are keeping one! I'm hoping it's healthy! :hug8:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
They are very lucky to have been found by someone so caring. I hope the girl you are keeping is healthy. :hug8:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I'm so happy you found them.
I just don't understand some people :(

brilywi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bri
Thank you for rescuing these kittens :hug8:

I live near a shelter and people just can't seem to understand that the animals go TO the shelter, not to the busy streets surrounding them! My brother and I rescued a little collie mix from under our (thankfully) parked car on a rainy day. We took her to the shelter later that day and they told us they knew who dumped her and that they would be contacting the police. :laughing12: The only reason they didn't accept her at the shelter in the first place was because she was technically from a different city (I live in the DFW metroplex) and they couldn't be arsed to drive a MILE down the road to take her to the shelter for their city. :mad:

I've also rescued a couple of kittens and sent them off to cat rescues as well. The last one I had was about to get mauled by a feral male and I caught him up just in time. He was too young for solid food and all the stores were closed and I ended up having to get him goats milk instead of kitten formula. I was up for over 24 hours with him. He loved to be swaddled. I was a bit sad to see him go.

sweethartza

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shaz
There are times I get so angry that people who are cruel to animals are classified as "humans" too. :( We often have stray cats roaming in our garden (that's why I can't have an outdoor aviary for my babies). But, about a month ago, I noticed a black kitten (when the babies sounded an alarm call), and it looked like its back legs were broken. I told my dad and we went to look for it but couldn't find it. The next day, my dad saw it in the back garden and tried to feed it some meat but it crawled away very fast. It was on saturday that my dad tried to catch it to take it to the SPCA so that it could have some shelter cold nights. And it really fought so we decided to leave him/her near the swimming pool pump and I left it some cooked chicken and milk while I phoned the SPCA, which they came 4 hours later to take it. My heart was sore because it looked like it was starting to warm up to me. But the guy told me that he will phone me to let me know what the vet says. On tuesday I got a call and he said that he wanted to wait a day to tell me, but the vet had to put the kitten down because it also had cat flu. But, I'm glad that we called the SPCA because at least it died humanely rather than freeze and starve to death.

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
Young kittens who should still be with mom usually will eat canned food easily. You can also get kitten replacement formula at Walmart, pet stores and vet's. When bottle raising kittens though I tried to get them on canned food as soon as I could, and get them lapping formula.
This one is eating soaked dry food fine. I will be getting some canned as well today. But 5 weeks is still to young to be away from mom even if she can eat on her own. I also hope that she got enough socialization with her littermates, I do worry about seperating her from them to early as well. I need to stop worrying so much but that's really hard. It's been so hectic. It's hard to believe how disruptive such a tiny fluffball can be when you weren't expecting it. She seems to be holding her own though, even playing with a little wiffle ball.:heart: I can see a trouble maker coming into her own. :D

Shaz, that's very sad. :( I guess we don't always get to help in the way that we want but you're right dying humanely is better than alot of the probabilities.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I've had a number of cats dumped here this year again, including a young mother with a litter of four. My spay/neuter costs for this year are in the four figures.

If I ever catch anyone in the act, they may end up in the cornfield out back.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Aww, bless you for helping those little kittens. I sure hope they get adopted :)

ThatDarnBird

I've had a number of cats dumped here this year again, including a young mother with a litter of four. My spay/neuter costs for this year are in the four figures.

Judging from the number of responses on this thread I'd say you'd have help digging the holes.

Her FeLV is neg! Once we think up a name I'll introduce her properly in her own thread.
:dance4::dance5::dance4::dance5::dance4:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

This one is eating soaked dry food fine. I will be getting some canned as well today. But 5 weeks is still to young to be away from mom even if she can eat on her own. I also hope that she got enough socialization with her littermates, I do worry about seperating her from them to early as well. I need to stop worrying so much but that's really hard. It's been so hectic. It's hard to believe how disruptive such a tiny fluffball can be when you weren't expecting it. She seems to be holding her own though, even playing with a little wiffle ball.:heart: I can see a trouble maker coming into her own. :D

Shaz, that's very sad. :( I guess we don't always get to help in the way that we want but you're right dying humanely is better than alot of the probabilities.
She will be ok with you:) Some of the kittens I had to bottle raise were the only kitten to survive in it's litter. They were very human bonded as you might guess, but when put with other cats once they were old enough, they did fine.

And actually they were very easy to find homes for because as soon as they saw a person they were right there for attention.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Cats are so adaptable. They are the species that most easily reverts to feral and ferals are also easily tamed. I'm sure your kitten will be fine. It may suck on wool blankets from being weaned too early but there are a lot worse things to deal with. Glad the test was negative!

LemonGrass

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
People like you really give me faith in humanity :heart: Very happy to hear that you are keeping on of the babies! :hug8:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy

Actually, if you caught them you should enter them into your spay neuter program...will probably save you money in the long run!!!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thats just plain disgusting, thank God you found them. Thank you.

JackDele

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
I think we all know there are people in this world who dont appreciate animals the way we do. It's sad when they drop to this level tho :( Congrats on your new addition! She's gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies.