• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Forced Separation

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
When I took Bebe to the vets the other week for her nail/beak trim, and health check, he confirmed my concerns.
Bebe's neck area is almost void of feathers.
They (her and Frankie) get showers more frequently now that the weather is warmer, but they are over-preening.
He suggested (what I had been discussing with hubby lately), that I should separate them.
That night, we put the divider back in the cage, but when I woke them in the morning there were feathers all over the bottom of the cage from both of them.
The first couple of days I tried to let just one of them out at a time, but felt like I was punishing them.
One would be screaming if they couldn't get out, so I have been sitting in their room with them and keeping them busy with other activities.
Bebe, however, keeps going to Frankie and snuggling into him to get him to preen her which I stop right away.
I am constantly cleaning lots of feathers out from their cage and during the day on their play stand when they are at it.
I bought some anti-feather pluck spray from Amazon to see if that helps to deter them.
I'm not sure if they are molting or if I have stressed them out by separating them?
I see there is a macadamia nut oil that is supposed to help their skin and feathers. I have also seen a an article about adding chamomile tea to water and spraying it on them.
I am getting stressed from this too.
Open to suggestions.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
A common area to preen each other is around the neck. Korbel has pretty ratty neck feathers from Maui preening him too often. Cha overpreens Tiko and removes all his downy feathers. It's common in a pair to have a over protective preener but it's not medical or needing intervention IMO.

I'm sure what you are seeing is when you come near he gets right next to her and starts preening her, right?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm sorry you are all going through this. Could you attach some acrylic to the divider so he can't preen her through it?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I wonder if their is something you can do so they don't preen each other so often and hard?
And with that I don't mean oil or spray.

I would not have separate them, that would be my last option if nothing else was working.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
@Eloy I spend most of my days in their room ,separating them and they are in the same cage and room at night with the divider separating them.
@Macawnutz I took a video to show you how it usually starts.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I really can't offer any advice, but they are very beautiful...

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I can't see anything wrong in that video. I see a happy bonding pair enjoying each other. ♥

The way I was thinking was to do things so they get tired and feel both relax and satisfied. Outside walks, baths, training, e.t.c.
I often see birds preen to much when they are bored.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It's a pair and unfortunately a drawback in captivity. This is when you get to decide who is going to be happy. Them or you.

I separated Cha and Tiko but not because of Tiko's feather loss but because if he gets angry he injures her. Maui preens Korbel just like that and it is what it is... They are happy brothers and I don't become bothered that Korbel is shabby looking.

One thing is the more attention you call to it it will become worse. Right now she is asking for preening but he will start it preening her whenever you come near if you become the third wheel in the relationship. She is actually telling you to go away in the video, if you don't already know that. ;) She is being more hormonal and territorial then he is.

More toys and stuff to do. Hard foraging for food and keeping them busier is all you can try.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I really can't offer any advice, but they are very beautiful...
Thank you

I can't see anything wrong in that video. I see a happy bonding pair enjoying each other. ♥
Thank you

@Macawnutz thank you, as always for your advice. They have so many toys, their cage is full and I have others in boxes. I rotate them constantly to avoid them becoming bored.
WE do training/activities throughout the day, and lots of silly things like singing and dancing around.
I just don't want a bald bird, and I think the vet suggested the separation because of this.
Yes they are happy together for the most part. Bebe has her "diva" moments and likes to take a swipe at Frankie or bite his tail or feet.
Poor Frankie's tail is all tattered from her biting him or stepping on it. Grrrrr.
They are both cage free for about 8-9 hours a day so I will need to find other things for them to do other than preening each other.