• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging toy ideas for conure that doesn't like to forage?

OllieTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
When we first brought Olive our gcc home, she did not like (or know how?) to play with toys at all. With lots of work on our part, she had finally discovered that playing with toys can be fun! She is super picky and likes only certain toys, but we make her toys so we can use what she likes. However, she does not understand how to forage? I have tried very "easy" toys like sticking a raspberry(one of her favorite treats) into an empty toilet paper roll with some shredded paper, but even with the treat/food easily showing, she does not like to forage. Were there any toys that got your fids hooked on foraging? It is important to me that I can get her to forage, to keep her busy while I'm at school! :heart: Thank you for your replies! :xflove::D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
What about trying to wrap up a favorite treat in a coffee filter? They are somewhat see through and she will get the experience of having to tear the paper to get to the food. You can start with this and then move up to treats in dixie cups, paper towel rolls, etc.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Start small! Remy is not a big fan of foraging, he'd much rather have me present, and hold his food while he daintily bites from it so he doesn't have to mess up his talons. :rolleyes:
What I started doing was getting those small paper souffle cups. Found them on Amazon. Putting a few of his FAVORITE treats in them, and crumpling them closed around it. Then putting it on one of his platform perches. I made sure that he SAW the treats go in there. He'd grumble a little bit, and flip it down to his cage floor the first few times...but by the end of the week, he was climbing down to retrieve it so he could get his treats! It really helped to get him used to the idea of having to work a bit for his favorite things!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Try to put his most favored Treat in a coffee filter or piece of paper, if he doesn't take action leave it open so he can see the Treat. Slowly proceed to Closing it completly. Get a clear plastic cup, wether you make a toy with it youself or it already is kn a toy doesn't matter, but you can start by leaving the lid of and place a Treat in it. Then show him a couple times how to open the lid, and then place it a little bit on top of the cup, not fastened so he only has to move it upwards. Fasten it more and more untill he completly opens it himself. Gradually start putting beads in his food bowl, or foot toys, whatever rings his bells! He has to move those aside or throw them out to get to his food. Also get more food Bowls so he has to move to all of those to get his food. Slowly start covering them up with paper. Fasten it with an elastic or a rope is you think he Will Chew the plastic. Start by making a very Large hole in it and gradually decrease the size, untill you don't make a hole at all. Those are just a few ideas, it is so much fun to learn what kind of foraging your fids like, and once they get the hang of it, it becomes more easy to inteoduce new things to them!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I know my little boy was the biggest baby for a while, but now Chirp forages like there's no tomorrow. His favorite foraging spots are a SS bowl with large wooden beads and some of his seed mix in the bottom, another bowl with the same type of thing but with toy parts, and this toy (I put millet in it, and it hangs away from all the perches) Hanging Treat Basket - Small Bird Toy - Super Bird Creations

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Henkie and Fëanor love things like that as well, they love hanging cardboard and wicker baskets! Seriously, Fëanor spends easily three hours a day, I think more, foraging in a bowl, basket or plate with pebbles in it, those are his favorites!

OllieTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
Thank you for all the replies! I will definitely give those ideas a try! :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I make it a point to hide treats in random parts of the birds' cages. I hide them in toys, wedge them in crevices in their cork perches, etc. There are always goodies to be had!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I sometimes cover their dry food with shredded paper or mix it with gum nuts / small bits of balsa. If they're familiar with their cage and their food bowl then it's a pretty easy way to encourage foraging.