• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging for Small Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Please share your ideas too!
There has been a lot of talk about foraging for small parrots. Though it is more difficult to find toys suitable for them, I do think it still important to keep their minds stimulated throughout the day. Especially for parrotlets who are prone to plucking.
These are some things I've found to work with my guys.
Foraging Sphere with Skewer Parrot Toy
I fill mine with nutriberries so they have to work to pick each little seed off.
And any paper forage toy. I have been covering bowls with coffee filters and poking a hole or two in it. This seems to work very well. Even Beau the budgie can get to the food ok.
I also attached a pic of one of Kei's favorite foraging toys. A crumpled up paper cup with some food inside.

Attachments

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I apologize for the quality of the Harper and Beau pics. It was hard to get them through the cage bars.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I've found these work pretty well:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I just posted this on the teach Goffin to play with toys thread but it works for small birds too.

TOOs are ground foragers and explorers. What works for me is to give them very large shallow box (3ft x 3ft x 2in high sides). I made mine out of plywood with spruce sides. I throw some seeds and treats in the bottom and cover it with Timothy Hay, twigs and wood chips. They need to rummage around and dig through the stuff to get to the treats at the bottom. If you have a place on the floor where you can do it they like that even better because it's bigger. Just toss some parrot food on the floor and then toss some wood chips and hay around. I use the concrete floor of their aviaries so the area is pretty big. Keeps them happy for hours on end. Give her a place to explore on her own.

Video ---> Where did all that wood come from??

ronsig

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sigrid
My budgies are "slow":lol: They have problems foraging. I found that covering their food with pieces of paper is already a challenge. It took a long time, and very little paper at first, to even get them into that.
I place dishes with food where they have to fly to get to it. That also works..

Sigrid

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
John, when I had my budgie Miracle, I used to cover her cage bottom in shredded paper and hide treats in it. She really liked foraging for all the goodies. I just had to make sure to clean it daily or every other day so bacteria wouldn't grow.
Singrid, With Beau he has to see that there is food in there or else he doesn't get it either. At first I had the paper and had a very large hole so he could still see what was inside but had to chew the paper to get to it.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Great ideas!

CrashSmAshley

Real Name
Ashley
I don't have any pics, but whenever I get tissue paper, a brown paper bag, etc. I cut pieces of the material out and wrap them around Nutri-Berries and whatnot for the birds to shred. They always seem to have fun!

evsrin

I don't have any pics, but whenever I get tissue paper, a brown paper bag, etc. I cut pieces of the material out and wrap them around Nutri-Berries and whatnot for the birds to shred. They always seem to have fun!
Try using paper mini-muffin wrappers! It works perfectly with the nutri-berries! I just did it last night.:cool1:

evsrin

John, when I had my budgie Miracle, I used to cover her cage bottom in shredded paper and hide treats in it. She really liked foraging for all the goodies. I just had to make sure to clean it daily or every other day so bacteria wouldn't grow.
Singrid, With Beau he has to see that there is food in there or else he doesn't get it either. At first I had the paper and had a very large hole so he could still see what was inside but had to chew the paper to get to it.
Sounds like a neat idea!

chompie_puppy

Celebirdy of the Month
I use a Foraging Tray for my littles. :)

Here are a few (old) photos of my budgies foraging. It's just a wooden tray I quickly knocked together, but a normal plastic tray will work just as well. Keeps them busy for hours!

I also make them Foraging Pine Cones. Here's the finished product. (Sorry, no photos of them actually using it!)

This pine cone only had fruit in it because it was made for Clopin. For the budgies I put seeds and veggies in the pine cones. :)

sewing4eight

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
My daughter makes mache eggs for our birds. She makes them at the Zoo for the birds in their aviaries- so she started making them at home for our FIDs.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I use a Foraging Tray for my littles. :)

Here are a few (old) photos of my budgies foraging. It's just a wooden tray I quickly knocked together, but a normal plastic tray will work just as well. Keeps them busy for hours!

I also make them Foraging Pine Cones. Here's the finished product. (Sorry, no photos of them actually using it!)

This pine cone only had fruit in it because it was made for Clopin. For the budgies I put seeds and veggies in the pine cones. :)
Good ideas! Thanks for sharing. :)

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
My daughter makes mache eggs for our birds. She makes them at the Zoo for the birds in their aviaries- so she started making them at home for our FIDs.
I haven't gotten around to making these yet. There was a thread about them not too long ago.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
I love that idea of the food dish and paper!! That's neat! Sparx loves the foraging sphere with skewer.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Ok, you inspired me:) I just wrapped some nutriberries and seed in little pieces of paper for the budgies. So far, they look suspicious:p

Status
Not open for further replies.