• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foraging for cockatiels?

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have no problem coming up with foraging ideas for my GCC. He’s smart, dexterous and curious so he figures things out.

However my cockatiel isn’t as smart or strong/dexterous. She’s also fearful of new things. So I haven’t been able to find any foraging or enrichment that works for her.

What do you do for your cockatiels? How can this be introduced slowly?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Are you able to use small pony beads, stones, small scrunched up bits of paper or toy parts that she is not frightened of and place them in her food dish? You can start her off simply by making her get her food from a dish with non edible things in it that she has to move about or eat around.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh that seems like a great place to start! I was thinking about putting food IN things rather than just making the dish more challenging.

I will try it and report back! Lmk if you have any other ideas in meantime!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I find the small items placed in amongst the food and slowly built up and increased in difficulty over time does not overwhelm them, they learn to forage without any fear or stress and start to enjoy working for their food.
I taught my macaw to forage without any interference from me like that as he was growing up, I would place small round wooden beads and them plastic dummy (binkie?) toys in with the food and each day add a couple more items or I would make paper stars to throw in the food dish till they literally had to be moved for him to see and get to his food.

You want to start with really easy things (cut up lengths of straw, beads, screwed up paper etc) and when your bird gets the idea you can start to do things like cover the food dish with a sheet of paper tied in place and put a decent size hole for your bird to start ripping away at, each day you make the hole smaller till there is no hole.

I found teaching foraging this way was really easy as they know the food dish has food and as long as they can still see the food and are not scared by what you put in the dish then they will usually work at getting to it as long as the challenge is fairly easy and as the skills grow so does the level of challenge you give them. Once they have mastered this stuff you can start to introduce putting foods into toys, small boxes or tubes, wrapped in paper envelopes etc. then eventually harder forage toys.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Very good ideas! I put some cut-up straws in tomorrows food dish - usually prep their food at night bc my fiancé is an early riser so gets birbs up. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can start with a small box filled with shredded paper and hide some treats or a finger trap toy stuffed with crinkle paper.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I find the small items placed in amongst the food and slowly built up and increased in difficulty over time does not overwhelm them, they learn to forage without any fear or stress and start to enjoy working for their food.
I taught my macaw to forage without any interference from me like that as he was growing up, I would place small round wooden beads and them plastic dummy (binkie?) toys in with the food and each day add a couple more items or I would make paper stars to throw in the food dish till they literally had to be moved for him to see and get to his food.

You want to start with really easy things (cut up lengths of straw, beads, screwed up paper etc) and when your bird gets the idea you can start to do things like cover the food dish with a sheet of paper tied in place and put a decent size hole for your bird to start ripping away at, each day you make the hole smaller till there is no hole.

I found teaching foraging this way was really easy as they know the food dish has food and as long as they can still see the food and are not scared by what you put in the dish then they will usually work at getting to it as long as the challenge is fairly easy and as the skills grow so does the level of challenge you give them. Once they have mastered this stuff you can start to introduce putting foods into toys, small boxes or tubes, wrapped in paper envelopes etc. then eventually harder forage toys.
After all these years I never thought of this. I have a kind of rabbit bowl with millet in it and just put millet and other things in. But it's just Mabel using it, it's not really Jeff's thing.

I'm aways learning on AA!

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Bender (GCC) likes to shred up sola balls, so I put some of his scraps in Lulu's food bowl (cockatiel). She seems perplexed but I bet she'll start figuring it out. Luckily Bender is a voracious shredder, so scraps will always abound!

sb sigmund

Strolling the yard
Tiels are ground foragers so something like in Hannah's image would be great