• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foot issues?

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Looks like my budgie probably has some foot issues. She keeps one of her foot straight and has problems while sitting on perch or hanging on cage. She isn't able to sit on her food bowl too and hence keeps sitting at bottom of her cage so she can keep her foot straight.. By straight I mean she cannot curl her fingers on the perch and hence loses balance on it... it's like a straight palm instead of curly one.

Does any one know what is it called? Is it same as splayed legs?

ashbirdlady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
How old is she? What kinds of perches does she have now? It is pretty easy to adjust her cage to make things easier for her. Has that foot worked/curled before?

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
How old is she? What kinds of perches does she have now? It is pretty easy to adjust her cage to make things easier for her. Has that foot worked/curled before?
She is definitely 8+ years old. She has sand perch and always had it. She was normal until last couple of weeks back. 2 weeks back she looked weak and was sitting at the bottom of the cage. Rarely eating or drinking. Took her to vet thinking she might be egg bound. He gave some meds and after coming back home she was perching only for a while. Slowly after few days I started noticing her foot issue. She eats/drinks now and also give her meds vet had given to get her energy back. But she doesn't perch and I think she has some foot issues.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Does she have any natural perches? If she has only dowels like pictured in your profile pic, they could be the problem. They are all the same and put the same pressures on birds' feet so over time they can develop sores and infection, called bumblefoot. You should get her some safe natural perches because her feet will need variety. This won't fix it right away if her feet are already infected, she will need meds like you're doing in order for it to heal (if this is the problem). But do add variable perches so her feet don't get sore.
She has sand perch and always had it.
By sand perch, do you mean a perch that has sand on all sides of it? This could also be the culprit, the rough sand top could be scratching up her feet. If you want a sand perch for trimming her nails, get one that has sand/rough bits on the edges. The top should be smooth so her feet don't get scratched up.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
sounds like arthritis