• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Foods

TheOddOnes

Moving in
This is just a curious post. I've been wanting to try to make some recipes for my two little cuties. As of right now they eat mashed fruits and veggies. LemonLime is terrified of eating more than mashed food, like a slice of a fruit or veggie, while Aurora will eat anything that is in front of her. I've seen recipes floating around on the internet, but I'm not sure if mine will eat any of them. So, I'm wondering what others on here do food wise or if there is a recipe that anyone really likes. I want to try to get LemonLime not around of food. Maybe we could make this a post that everyone could use. Thanks in advance!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Several members and myself have found out budgies adore birdie bread. Sometimes my birds actually play in the birdie bread dish. The beauty of birdie bread is that you can put just about anything in it before baking. At first I made it from scratch but the cost was quite high and the way it turned out was not suitable. Now I use the birdie bread mixes on Amazon. I have made Tops and also did not care for it much. Not the taste but the way it turned out. So now I get the basic Harrisons or Mammas but pick out the corn as I no longer food corn to my budgies because I believe it contributes to AGY. Some of the things I add are Red Palm oil or coconut oil, pellets, red/yellow/orange veggies graded, greens, a few baby food items, cinnamon and other assorted flavorings they would like. After baking I cut the bread into small squares and freeze most of it for later. It last about 2 to 3 months. Happy baking!

Amazon.com: bird bread mixes

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Not strictly a recipe I know. But a good place to start.

Once a week I give my budgies a hearty meal based on boiled egg with either brown rice or wholemeal pasta. The budgies fly a lot so use the extra energy and protein this base gives them. And I kid you not they are mad for it. They're on the bowl before I put it down.
I've found I can get the budgies to eat almost anything, just by adding it to this basic mix. Doesn't matter what it is. They're not like their humans. You can add sweet fruits along with cooked veggies. A little chicken breast doesn't hurt. Make it different every time to keep it interesting.
Fresh herbs are always appreciated, parsley is a particular favourite.
If your budgies don't get much flying time just reduce the egg and have yourself a sandwich. As long as they get a good taste of it.
I also offer up some salads by clipping in various places around the cage. Makes it a game kind of. Celery is a good one to try.
I also believe you shouldn't give fruit too often, again unless the budgies are very active. And only in small amounts.