• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food to feed parent birds

Iangodfrey1960

Meeting neighbors
Hi Everyone my first post my pair have three chicks i have been feeding mam and dad egg food they wont touch other soaked foods pellets ect.
My question is can i stop feeding egg food the chicks are approx 3 weeks old can the parents feed them on a good seed mix diet millet and greens ect.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The egg food provides protein for the parents and chicks, I would not stop it just yet. It is strenuous for them to raise young.

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
My birds had 3 babies hatch last December. I fed the parents corn, millet spray, pellets (not soaked), and cockatiel seed. They also love peas. Veggies are important. I remember one babys' crop was not filling up and he was 1/2 size of other two, because they were always beggin mom & dad to be fed, and I think that baby (the youngest) couldn't get to the parents to be fed often enough. We have an extra cage so one day I put baby in there with the food and put daddy bird in there, and mom was locked in other cage with the other two babies. When we came back about 4 hrs. later, baby's crop nice and full, he grew as big as brother & sister in about a day. Since then I think they got it that baby #3 needs to be fed too. This last baby also weaned about 2 weeks later than the other two, we did not try to rush things. I don;'t know about egg food, I never used it. good luck

Iangodfrey1960

Meeting neighbors
Well done mybe the egg food is easier for the parents to feed the chicks

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My birds seem to prefer feeding egg food to the chicks.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
The egg food is a good idea. I would just provide a healthy balanced diet (including the egg food) and let the parents choose what to feed. My parrotlets always fed lots of egg food to their chicks. My caiques just feed a little of everything, they seem to prefer millet spray and pellets.