• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

emi17

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Emily
Hello Everyone! I will be purchasing a Swainson's Lorikeet in the next few weeks and have a few questions about their diet. Fruit, veggies and nectar..check! But what else? Can they have cooked grains? breads? raw nuts? Some articles have read they can have millet and some seed, but what kind of seeds are okay? Also, can they have a cuttlebone in their cage? Sorry for all of the questions, it would be nice to find one comprehensive list of foods that won't harm these birds. Ugh! On the upside, I am eagerly awaiting for my new fid to come home =) :dance5:

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
Welcome and congrats on your future baby! As far as I understand, only two species of lorikeet can handle seed and dry pellets in their diets regularly, Iris and Musschenbroek’s. Cooked grains, however, would be an excellent addition. Kai loves cooked barley, lentils and quinoa. I've also made multiple batches of 'birdie bread', including all sorts of healthy foods and spices, that he loves. Sweet potato, bell pepper, papaya, cantaloupe, apple, pear, berries, carrots, peas, broccoli and squash are all favorites over here. As for the cuttlebone, I'm not sure? I've never used one with Kai. When I had his bloodwork done at the end of January his calcium levels came back within good ranges. Nuts aren't bad either, though most lorikeets don't have the beak design for cracking them open. Kai enjoys part of a shaved almond on occasion though it isn't a favored food by any means.

Check out Matt's website, he has a good writeup on diet as well as other information.
Loriinae Exotics - Lory Diet

Don't forget to introduce yourself on Welcome Lane!

Ashling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mel
Great response above. Certainly no pellets or seeds for a swainson's unless they are soaked/ sprouted respectively (small seed like millet or the occasional sprinkle of seed is ok). Pollen is a good food to add to their diet, as is honey (I would only feed honey to an adult parrot with a healthy immune system due to the threat of botulism. I have no proof that this could be a problem but I like to steer clear just in case!) Cooked food is eagerly accepted as are smoothies!! You can add fruit, veg, pollen, honey and such to smoothies which are extra healthy and yum! Rule of thumb is very little to no hard foods, they must be powdered/ soft/ wet/ soaked if possible. My lorikeet has choked on bread before so I steer clear of feeding her bread (unless soaked!)

Cuttlebone can be offered, any bird will take what is necessary and it's good for keeping the beak trim. On that note, due to the soft diet of a lorikeet, it's important to give them toys and branches they can chew to keep their beak in top shape.

emi17

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Emily
Thanks everyone! Your responses put me in the right direction. I can't wait to get him home :)

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I would love to see pictures of him! I have a Swainson's myself and everyone who comes over gravitates to him first. My aunt said he looks like he is stuck in the 80's. My guy loves cooked pasta, I will give him one noodle and he will play with it and take little bites out of it. Another favorite treat of his (and one that he will do anything for) is Agave nectar. You can get it at any grocery store, it looks alot like honey. If I grab a spoon and put some nectar on it and start walking towards my lory he will hop up and down like crazy until I give it to him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.