• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food management not working with the caiques

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
They are both overweight. Up to last week, we would train AFTER their belly was full in an out of cage buffet. They were very eager and willing but the additional treats were adding on the grams. So for the last week I let them out when I get home, give them some food but not a lot. All they are doing is SCREAMING and SCREAMING to the point I wonder what I was thinking when I got them :banghead:. The only reason I've been able to put up with their horrendous screeching all these years is to keep them overfed and and quiet which is not a healthy tactic. I really can't tolerate their screaming! :eek: I hate noise! :bag:
And now they are not wanting to step up or anything to go back to the cage. They trained for a bit but are too rowdy and did I say LOUD??? My peaceful bird room is a disoriented place right now. I will have to rethink everything :lol:. I've created a problem for myself! :wacky:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:hug5: Saroj, please go to page 318 of your Parrot Wizard book; "How to turn your Caique into a Grass Parrot". ;)
Thanks, I'll bring my book in after I'm able to cage them, Gerard :) ! Seriously, I had no problems with their behavior till now!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Well, they've trained you to feed them whenever they scream! :lol:So obviously they are throwing a tantrum. It's exactly the same when you are teaching a bird to stop screaming for attention.. It gets worse for a while before they give up. I believe it's called an extinction burst.
Reducing Behavior through Non-Aversive Techniques: Extinction and the Extinction Burst | Behavior Analysts Tampa: ABA Therapy, Autism, Behavior Problems, ADHD/Learning Disabilities

do you want two tubby caiques? :lol:
You're exactly right about the extinction... I must undo 9 years of training :)

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think lory squeals sound just as bad as caique squeals Saroj so I am hearing you (or not over the squealing lol).
We are going through a tempestuous time with our scalies and Red, We need to figure out what is triggering it but at the moment they're just squabbling and squealing in their cages and it's driving everyone nuts. Even the kids have said to me all they do is just raaa, raaa, raaa. All day. :confused:

Edited to add it's not like they don't get enough out of cage time as we give hem plenty of that but unless they wet after bathing or hungry, it's RAA,RAAAAA,RAAAAAAAA in their cages. :depressed:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I think lory squeals sound just as bad as caique squeals Saroj so I am hearing you (or not over the squealing lol).
We are going through a tempestuous time with our scalies and Red, We need to figure out what is triggering it but at the moment they're just squabbling and squealing in their cages and it's driving everyone nuts. Even the kids have said to me all they do is just raaa, raaa, raaa. All day. :confused:

Edited to add it's not like they don't get enough out of cage time as we give hem plenty of that but unless they wet after bathing or hungry, it's RAA,RAAAAA,RAAAAAAAA in their cages. :depressed:

thanks! Hope you figure it out soon :). Are they quiet when they are hungry? Or a I misreading that?
Blessed peace right now, they are trying to break into Big Scooter's unoccupied locked cage to raid his pellets! :lol:

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
thanks! Hope you figure it out soon :). Are they quiet when they are hungry? Or a I misreading that?
Blessed peace right now, they are trying to break into Big Scooter's unoccupied locked cage to raid his pellets! :lol:
I meant to put when they are hungry and have their heads buried in their nectar powder. :lol:

They're good about using their food readily available as they aren't overeating like your caiques are. They get a weekly weigh in and the only weight fluctuations are the scalies which vary 3 grams max but it's a regular fluctuation not abnormal so nothing to worry about.
I kid you not, Blue's weight has been exactly the same for two years on every weekly weigh in. :cool:

Wayne361

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Wayne
Like kids....if you take something away they are used to they will scream bloody murder. Dont give into feeding them when they scream. You mentioned they dont want to go back into cage. If they are hungry and you show them food going into bowl in cage I would think going in shouldnt be a problem?
GlassOnion is correct....it will get worse before it gets better (extinction burst) but IF they realize screaming wont get them what they want, the behaviour should be extinguished over time.
I feel for you lol

Wayne

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:) thanks for the support all! I don't want tonight to set a precedent - i had to towel the back to the cage. They have never done this before! They have always been very cooperative and well behaved - no biting and stuff. Until I started the food management thing this week. I'm going back to a lower calorie out of cage buffet from tomorrow. I feel like I was trying to fix something that ain't broke. :D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yikes! Good luck Saroj! :hug8:
:D thanks Alida! Things are back to normal. Life is blissfully peaceful again :)
I shall be serving low calorie foods. Their favorite activity is really eating and it's fine with me. They love to train on a full belly so I can continue with that. I just won't follow the wizard's recommendations exactly.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
How much and how often do you feed your birds? You make it sound like you stuff their faces all the time :hehe:
Danita, hey eat two hearty meals and free feed on pellets. I'm cutting back on the fruits from tomorrow. Evening when they come out they feast off and on on mashes, birdie bread, pellets, carrots etc. Doesn't leave much time for screaming. After they are stuffed they love to train and chew foot toys contentedly. I enjoy it too. The wizard recommends not feeding meals out of cage. That's what went wrong. Easily fixed :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
one great thing i learned to do tonight............how to restrain a bird! I'd never figured out how until i saw Michael's videos. :)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
:popcorn2:
Danita, hey eat two hearty meals and free feed on pellets. I'm cutting back on the fruits from tomorrow. Evening when they come out they feast off and on on mashes, birdie bread, pellets, carrots etc. Doesn't leave much time for screaming. After they are stuffed they love to train and chew foot toys contentedly. I enjoy it too. The wizard recommends not feeding meals out of cage. That's what went wrong. Easily fixed :)
It is nice they eat healthy stuff!