• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

food for thought? thinking of rescuing a plet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassyjaygrl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jessica
I might be helping to rescue a 4 year old yello plett. I asked a ton of questions I am visiting him this weekend, and my boss really wants one. would love to rescue him for her. She did give me a brand new cage for free for Diva, so the least I could do for her is help her find one.

here is the info I got from the person:

I bought him as a breeder so he was not handled much in the past, but now that I have him separated and clipped his wings, he will rest in your hands. He likes to be held close to your body. He is a little tricky to get him out of his cage, and wont yet stand on your finger with out trying to fly away, but he is s sweet little guy and I think with some consistancy, he will make a wonderful pet! I originaly bought him for $180 plus shipping, so I am asking for a small re-homing fee of $75. I also have a couple cage for you to chose from that he can go with. I was told he is pastel yellow/split blue. He was paired with a pastel blue/split yellow famale and all their clutches were pretty much half pastel blue and half pastel yellow. He does not have any health issues I am aware of. I have had him a litle over a year with out any health problems. I feed Goldenfeast, and my parrotlets get half parakeet mix and half cockateil mix. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I have pictures and the "rehoming fee is resonable" she is only a 25 minute drive, so not a total waste of a day to see, and seeing as my boss isn't really my boss anymore and when my mom went into a coma, she became more my mom than my mother ever was I would like to do something nice for her too.

Any more questions I should ask her guys??

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Is your boss going with you to see the bird? If she is the one who will be getting the bird, she should go with you to see the bird and see what she thinks. Maybe she can think of some questions to ask and determine if she wants to take the bird on. I guess that most questions that come to my mind center around your boss's home set up. Does she have other birds (same or different species)? If so, then you ask the current owner how the bird gets along with other birds of the same or different species. Does your boss have other pets, children? Then you ask the current owner questions related to your boss' situation. It's hard to know what kinds of questions to ask when you are considering a bird for another person. All the other questions you have asked already are very appropriate.

Sassyjaygrl

Real Name
Jessica
She has no other birds now, has had a grey, and african in the past. both were rescues she took on that were very old when she took them on.

No other birds in her household now, my boss is amazing but I might never get her to go visit him and I would tell her my opinion of him and she would go from there, she own the dog kennell/daycare at the hospital I work at, and breed and competes with French bulldogs, her children are in there 30's she is single so even though she is busy she has time, and then she has us to all help her with the taking care of.

I know he is untame a bit so that would be time consuming there if she wanted him to be able to step up and be hand tame.

I do a lot of her research for her and basically learn everything print it out, but she is like ok give me the scoup and how you see it.

I love her to death great furkid and fid mom spoils and loves them they all get the best of everything and not only do they get her but they get all of us too.I have a ton of furry nieces and nephews--yes I know I am weird.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Is she OK with it. if the bird takes a long time to tame...and perhaps never becomes a bird that likes to be held? I did a lot of research when a pair was available here. Both were untamed and plucked. They can be feisty little birds, and have a tendancy towards cage aggression.

Sassyjaygrl

Real Name
Jessica
Yes she is, then she would just give him what he needs to stay healthy and happy

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
If she lets you get her all the information and then she can go from there, then at least she will be making an informed decision, and she doesn't sound like she would back out after she took on the responsibility, and given all of her experience, I'd say go for it :D

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Have you asked about vetting? The little one should have a psittacosis test done at the very least... plets are tricky when it comes to chems and such, most of the time they can have 0.1-0.2cc drawn safely so there may have to be a few visits. Pacific plets are fiesty little guys! They're not super snuggly birds, although we have a few here on AA that love a good scritch. I think that if she's prepared for a bird that may never like human contact then go for it! They are really wonderful little birds, but I'm biased ;)

Sassyjaygrl

Real Name
Jessica
I got him yesterday, he will be checked on Monday. She did clip his wings, she has a 4 floor 150 year old house and the ceilinges seem higher then 10 feet downstairs and 9 feet on the other floors so until he is more comfortable she wants to make sure he can't get too far for a bit.

he is good if you hold him close to your body. In facte he fell asleep with petting and being snuggled, I think he might even get the idea of stepping up Karen is so happy and she named him Jesse James (Jess after me)

Her dogs all have western themed names.

She owns the kennel that is connected (litterally) to the hospital I work at, so lives on the same property of The animal hospital, so getting blood is no issue.

plet1.jpg

plet2.jpg

plet3.jpg

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
aww he is very sweet