• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food Brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDragon1288

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Well, just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of what brands some use and is there a brand that is most favorable over the other for any given reason among us all. So far I have only used O.S.I. and Tetra brands. I have a outdoor pond that house 23 golddies and 2 skiiders (mosquito fish), a 1.5 gallon tank with a betta and a 20 gallon planted tank with one ghost shrimp, one black mystory snail name Gaint and many tiny snails, 7 fishes: 6 tetras (3 black neons, 2 bloodfins, and one glass bloodfin) and one Red Crimson Dwarf Goumarni. This is my first year dealing with a planted aquarium as I have only experience with cold water pond set-ups.

So, there is my introduction on that, now back to food brand. What is the best out there?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
For Goldfish I use Hikari Saki and Dainichi Ultra{not the color enhancing one}
Anything Tetra is garbage.It is just full of fillers. For the betta I would recommend Hikari. The gourami/planted tank occupants and the betta would appreciate some Hikari frozen bloodworms on occasion.For general maintenance I would mix it up by giving some Omega one, Hikari, and New Life Spectrum foods. NLS makes some nice small pellets that are taken well.They use whole foods in the preparation of their foods. I also like Ocean Nutrition's formula one, as a flake.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The shrimp and snails would love some fresh zucchini, or cucumber, or hikari algae wafers as a supplement. To keep the veggie down, get a fish spike{can be purchased in the UK, made from SS and looks like a corkscrew end} or use a small fork. Only leave in one day at the most.Goldfish love veggies too, but since yours are in a pond I assume they get enough there? They adore duckweed.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I use New Life Spectrum for my African Cichlids, and I use a mix of Tetra flake and shrimp as well.

RedDragon1288

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
I definitely like to use pellet food over flakes, but can't get those now until I run out of the flakes. I looked over the NLS pellets and it says they are sinking pellets. What's the difference in the sinking and floating? Oh and I just got a name for my little female shrimp. Her name is Ghost. Sad to say that she did have some eggs on last week but I don't none of the babies live as I didn't noticed she shed her skin until after the water change.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
There should be both kinds. I like the sinking pellets so my fish do not suck air. Some people who have goldfish in ponds use the floating pellets so they can see the fish. It is really bad for goldfish that are fancy, but I think the commons can handle it a little better. There is also such a thing as slow sinking pellets. I have some food that was recommended to me for my GF that is supposed to be excellent, but I will not use it because it floats.

Status
Not open for further replies.