• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Food aggression

Chocolate

Moving in
I'm having a problem with my dusky conure. Since adopting him I have allowed him to take food from my plate while I've been eating. It didn't bother me and I was happy he was trying a lot of new healthy foods that he wouldn't touch otherwise.

I have now realized this wasn't the best idea.
1. Sometimes I am eating a food that is unhealthy for him.
2. When I have guests over and they don't want beak in their food.
3. The mess. He tends to eat one bite of something and toss the rest on the floor, and repeat.

I'm having a hard time stopping the habit due to his aggression.

I've tried putting some of my food in a dish in his cage and that works sometimes. Other times he throws a tantrum with his angry pterodactyl scream and bites me when I try to lure him into his cage with food. He also screams and bites if I try to take food away or keep him away from food he shouldn't have.

Any tips on how to curb his food aggression? I would like him to eat separately without having to lock him in his cage. Or if I have to lock him in, what is the best way to do it peacefully and happily?

Aside from a few issues he is a very sweet bird. Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have this same issue with my quaker. When we're getting ready to eat, (before I get the food on the table) give him a special treat and put him in his cage. He can't be out while we eat because he's unpredictable and purposely bites my 2 year old son so that he'll drop food or abandon his plate, so that's the only thing we've found works. He threw a tantrum at first but now it's routine.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You may need to set up a feeding station/play stand for him and teach him to station (aka "stay put") with food there for him to eat.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You may need to set up a feeding station/play stand for him and teach him to station (aka "stay put") with food there for him to eat.

This is a good idea. My friends have shared every meal with Mac, their venerable YNA, this way since they got her. She's on a t-stand in close proximity. She feels like she's part of the flock at meals, which birds enjoy and do in the wild, but is removed enough not to walk on plates or directly interfere with meal time. There is no frustrated calling or negative behavior this way. Get a basic t-stand.

Chocolate

Moving in
Teaching him to stay, (station?). Sounds daunting. But I will give it a try. Thank you for all the responses.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Look up videos and articles on station training! :) Just need to know what the right rewards are! ;)