• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Follow up FYI, do not ever judge a bird by its photo.

macawkitty

Moving in
Real Name
macaws
Never judge a book by its cover? Well never judge a bird by its photo either. HERE ARE THE FACTS FROM MY AVIAN CERTIFIED VET! My Bird is in fact A RUBY MACAW. I took him to my vet because he had his usual sinus/respitory thing he gets and he needed medication. So I did a full Avian Profile because in March he had high CPK. My Avian Certified vet said his feathers are fine, and they are changing because in fact he IS a Ruby Macaw, his color pattern and all of the different colors he has are not of a Greenwing. His Beak and change of colors equalling a liver condition? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope! His Liver functions, urate functions all of that were FINE! I am such a good bird mom that the supplements and herbal stuff I have been giving him have helped lower his CPK as well! My vet didnt have an issue with his wing clip either, and ya we havent lost any new growing blood feather in a very very long time. His tail feathers were never affected by his wing clip either! I came back to post this because I want other people to know from an experience here what happened if anyone ever goes through this! Oh ya my boy is 3lbs and my vet was happy about that too!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I just knew it..... he had to be a Ruby!!!!
My GW, Capri has the pink on her feathers..... but no yellow.... so figured your baby had to be a Ruby..... and by the way.....your baby is gorgeous!
You are an awesome bird mom!!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We are all human, and not vets. We can only offer the information we have available to us through photos and through a posters description. :)

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Better to be wrong than not comment and find out it is something that could have been prevented and/or treated. :) So I think it's a good idea to make comments on pictures if a person feels there might be concerns to educate and offer advice just in case. Glad your baby is alright

macawkitty

Moving in
Real Name
macaws
Thank you AnnaMacaw!!! It is really PHENOMINAL that after having him 10 years the Scarlet looking feathers are coming out. 2 years ago the yellow orange red ones came out and I wondered than. Its really neat having a hybred cuz I guess you just never know what to expect! LIke a bday surprise!

Well I want everyone who gets told by photos that someone thinks it could be something, especially if they have a Ruby Macaw thinking they had a greenwing all this time! This post may come in handy!

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Well I dunno. :) I looked at the other thread and there is only one post from you that says 'thank you' so I don't see any good info to go off there when comparing the two.

macawkitty

Moving in
Real Name
macaws
I deleted everything because I felt like I was being attacked. I just wanted to post what the vet information was.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Great, glad you were able to find out and that your bird is healthy...that is always a relief. •curious why you vet weighed in lbs instead of Gms? •Thanks for all the information.

Buckbeak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I didn't see the other thread, but that must be a surprise finding out your baby was a hybrid after all these years! Guess s/he was really good at keeping secrets!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
His parents could be GW x Ruby. Which will get a GW looking bird but some scarlet traits too.

He could also be a mutation of a greenwing. There are members here with purebred scarlet or Greenwings and they get discoloration with age. Pink flight feathers come to mind.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I don't remember seeing any posts that should make you feel like you aere being attacked. You came here with a concern and people gave you their honest input. I hope you don't leave the forum because of this.

I believe I was one of the people who mentioned how poorly trimmed his wings are. I stand by that. Having all his primary and secondaries clipped can cause balance issues and it breaks feathers and can cause discoloration in new feathers as theyre bruised when coming in. I'm sorry if this offended you or you felt attacked. I truly didn't mean to come across to you like that and I am very sorry.

I'm glad you took your bird to the vet. We never thought you were a bad birdie momma!:hug8: Just be careful with any supplements you provide. Too much added supplements and vitamins can be a bad thing, like in people too. A nice balance is best. :)

We'd love to see pics of your boy again! :heart:

:hug8:

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I deleted everything because I felt like I was being attacked. I just wanted to post what the vet information was.
I'm sorry you felt attacked. :( I hope you stay so you can learn that is not the norm here. :hug8:

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Something I wish I could tell all my customers at work when they attack me for their wrong order: "We're only human; if you're hoping for the perfection of robots then you'll be waiting a long time.." ;)

Seriously though, we're human here and we're going to make mistakes regardless of how much we know. The internet talk and photos can only tell us so much.

Also, since you deleted all the information from the other thread, I don't see this helping anyone. I'm honestly bewildered and confused by your post since I did not see what you posted before you decided to delete it. If this post is not an "in your face" write-up then it would help if you posted photos here and wrote a background story of what you came here asking, what you thought personally, what others hypothesized about your bird, and then what you've found now. Without the information for others to learn from like you say you're posting for, I only see this thread offending a lot of people who were only trying to help.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Macawkitty,
I went back to look through your posts to see what was going on, the first post was a little :eek:, the pictures you posted did not look like a regular healthy macaw. You must understand that most of us love birds and have had years and years of experience. When comments were made, it wasn't to hurt you, or insult you.
We often see new members come here looking for help and they do have sick birds.
Sorry that you felt attacked, but the information you received from the members was appropriate to the pictures and the statements you were making. They were very nice about it too.
If you aren't used to message boards, I can understand how it made you feel attacked, rather then helped!
You won't find one person here who wouldn't be happy to read that you have a healthy macaw :)

We all applaud that you are "such a good bird mom" :) and your bird is very lucky to have an owner that is! Make sure you stick around and share your experience with other members :) you may help someone with your knowledge!
Never judge a book by its cover? Well never judge a bird by its photo either. HERE ARE THE FACTS FROM MY AVIAN CERTIFIED VET! My Bird is in fact A RUBY MACAW. I took him to my vet because he had his usual sinus/respitory thing he gets and he needed medication. So I did a full Avian Profile because in March he had high CPK. My Avian Certified vet said his feathers are fine, and they are changing because in fact he IS a Ruby Macaw, his color pattern and all of the different colors he has are not of a Greenwing. His Beak and change of colors equalling a liver condition? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nope! His Liver functions, urate functions all of that were FINE! I am such a good bird mom that the supplements and herbal stuff I have been giving him have helped lower his CPK as well! My vet didnt have an issue with his wing clip either, and ya we havent lost any new growing blood feather in a very very long time. His tail feathers were never affected by his wing clip either! I came back to post this because I want other people to know from an experience here what happened if anyone ever goes through this! Oh ya my boy is 3lbs and my vet was happy about that too!

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Also, I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers, but a photo of a bird says 1000 words. It really and truly does. Anyone here, I think, can look at a photo of a bird and say, "Wow that bird is beautiful and healthy!" or "Something ain't right about that bird, it needs help." I can look at a picture of a 'tiel (because the little clowns are my area of expertise) and I might tell the owner their bird is Vitamin A deficient based on ratty feathers and dry nares, possibly infected with onset liver disease indicated by overgrown beak, overgrown nails, green/yellow wash over the body, and abnormal shoestring feathers on the bird's back, or that a bird is calcium/vit D deprived from a photo of an egg or a story about egg laying history. And telling an owner that should not offend them. It should be more of a wake up call. New members who come here have often been misinformed about bird care, and the bird suffers because of it. But that does not mean the owner is a bad birdie parront; it just means they did not know!

When I got Krissi she was terribly malnourished, had liver disease, ratty feathers, and she was just not looking too good. Was I mad at her previous parront? No! Because I knew that she loved Krissi with all her heart and she had been providing Krissi with the best care she thought she knew to do.

Noone here is saying you are or were a bad parront, and we're all so happy that your bird is healthy. If you feel attacked by this thread I think it is simply because people are upset that: A) they were wrong (c'mon..we've all got egos) and B) that your original post in this thread seems malicious towards the people who were trying to help you and your bird. Noone is trying to upset you here, but I think you've stepped on a lot of peoples' feelings as a result of your own anger from feeling attacked in your previous thread.

I really do hope you stick around. This forum is not about attacking one another over small arguments. This forum is about helping the birds and enjoying each other's birdie stories and like-mindedness. :)