• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flying Soon

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just back from the vet (quite literally, the tea's brewing). Tau did not enjoy it, he fought us both all the way but the vet got everything he needed.
Generally Tau is in really good health concidering he has been flightless for most of it. Feathers are in great condition, a few stress bars In the tail but we'll formed and no deficiencies. Bloods were taken (results Wednesday) as well as smears (nothing abnormal).
But we have found a possible cause of the problem. U/S (I'm sure he said 'doppler') showed reduced blood flow toward the tip of his left wing, significant enough to starve new feathers and cause them to drop. The vet couldn't find any restrictions so it has to be down to damage cause by his big fright. The vet gave Tau a steroid shot and told me to keep up the diet, especially protein and calcium.
As no actual restriction was found there's no other options now. It's something we both have to just deal with. The vet could prescribe blood thinners, but due to Tau's high risk of seizures that would not be suitable. If anything it's weekly steroid shots. After todays objections from Tau I don' t think so. Even if Tau grows in all his feathers he may still not fly, the atrophy is so severe. But, just to prove a point Tau has just glided 8ft from the top of his cage.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I was just back from the vet. Took 1/2 hour just to post that!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad Tau is so healthy, but that’s sad about his wing. I didn’t know a fright could cause something like that. Well, Tau is a fighter, so hopefully coupled with your good care he might overcome it eventually!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A little update. Summer knocked my transport perch to the floor so I went to pick it up. But I came up too fast and startled Tau, who promptly flew level from the play area into his cage. Okay, it was only a few feet but he now knows he can do it.
He's been hovering at the edge of things, lifting his wings then changing his mind for the past few days, much like a fledgling. Change that, he IS a fledgling, and I feel things are going to change rapidly now. I really hope he nails this, he needs it and deserves it.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A pleasant accident :) :starshower1:

I can´t wait for the day you tell us he´s taking flight!!!! :fingerscrossed:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He's been hovering at the edge of things, lifting his wings then changing his mind for the past few days, much like a fledgling. Change that, he IS a fledgling, and I feel things are going to change rapidly now. I really hope he nails this, he needs it and deserves it.
...he'll get there, for sure. :)

Tau has a spirit of a champion...:heart:

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yaaaay! :cheer:

Go Tau! I'm sure the handsome little fella will get the knack of it soon :D

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:omg: HE FLIES!!
He has flown roughly 15 feet from his cage door to my blinds, with an increase in height of about 3ft. Only has to learn to land it, but he's nailed the launch and was a lot more comfortable with being rescued from his landing spot. No hissing or lunging at the finger offered, just stepped right up. And I swear when I was transporting him to the play area he puffed his chest out with well deserved pride. My baby made his first proper steps.
PROOF:
DSCF0303.JPG
:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:

Last edited:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes!! Go Tau!!! :bliss:

So happy for you guys! And fantastic that you managed a good pic to document his big moment :pinkgrin:

I'm sure he'll be zooming round overhead in no time!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Fantastic!!! :starshower1: Such a great step forward :)

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
ah the smile I have on my face! Yeah Tau!!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How old is your Bird?
He must be 10-11 months old. I know what you're thinking. We rescued him from a hoarder situation. He was stuffed in a small cage with all his siblings and lived in the mess at the bottom. Nearly all his flights were broken or mutilated so I trimmed the lot. He's just coming to the end of his first major moult, but has blood flow problems in his left wing, and after losing a few blood feathers we finally have some strong primary flights.
He's an 11 month old fledgling.

I was worried about muscle atrophy but he's been exercising his wings loads. I'm well pleased his first flight wasn't a glide or a plummet, and so is he. He's been watching Summer a lot I think.
He's my miracle bird.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Tau is just so......... different. He's always hated when another bird has got anywhere near, the lunging and that weird little whistle he does as he strikes (I'd never even heard that before I got Tau). He would certainly never share his personal space or his food. But today, Summer is in his cage, on the same perch sharing a toy with him. I can't get my breath. Someone has kidnapped Tau and put this Tiel in his place. He's letting her eat his food, drink his water and play with his toys.
OMG, what have I done?
He hasn't tried flying since his trip to the blind, but it seems now he knows he can escape anything he has chilled right out. He still doesn't like me in his cage, but I'm a big lumbering giant to him.
He's even started chattering like a budgie when he's roosting, and Summer chatters back.
He's a Tiel, and he has his moments.

Last edited: