• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Fly free my beloved Ollie

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a beautiful story and bird. I'm so sorry for your loss Roz.

:heart:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
This is heartbreaking. I am so sorry for your loss. Ollie was such a special bird and incredibly fortunate to get to spend his final years surrounded by love. My thoughts are with you and your flock, Roz. Sending sincere warm hugs :sorrow: :sadhug:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss of Ollie. It's heartbreaking.:sorrow: I hope you and Kobe is doing ok. Ollie and Kobe remind a bit of Zane and Echo. Zane being the needy one of the pair. Its good Ollie had Kobe :heart:

So many beautiful words. Thank you. :grouphug:
I think that's very fitting since you gave Ollie such a beautiful life! :hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Thank you, thank you. :hug8:

I collected his ashes today. They were kind in doing their best to get him done in time for me to have him home for Christmas.
I am so happy to hear he is back home. :heart:

svetlak

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Svetla
This is heartbreaking. My heart goes out to you. As someone above said, they are never long enough with us.

Fly high, beautiful Ollie. You will be dearly, dearly missed!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss of Ollie.
They fly into our hearts and leave feather dust on our souls forever......

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thank you for asking, Andrea. I think at the beginning, once or twice Kobe went looking for Ollie. But now he is hanging out with me more. Although sometimes it's sad to see him just sitting there outside the kitchen staring into space.

Bobbie completely changed character the morning after Ollie's death. Very quiet and sleeping a lot. I thought she was missing him. Although they were never really friends she used to follow his lead with vocalizations and adventures. I now think she might be sick. We have a vet appointment a week tomorrow (earliest he could see her). I am terrified she might also have PDD. I've started weighing her daily and keeping her warm. She has perked up today and had a bath in her water bowl which is good.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh my. Prayers it's just mourning the loss of a member of the flock.

Secret took a while to bounce back and make sounds.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you for asking, Andrea. I think at the beginning, once or twice Kobe went looking for Ollie. But now he is hanging out with me more. Although sometimes it's sad to see him just sitting there outside the kitchen staring into space.

Bobbie completely changed character the morning after Ollie's death. Very quiet and sleeping a lot. I thought she was missing him. Although they were never really friends she used to follow his lead with vocalizations and adventures. I now think she might be sick. We have a vet appointment a week tomorrow (earliest he could see her). I am terrified she might also have PDD. I've started weighing her daily and keeping her warm. She has perked up today and had a bath in her water bowl which is good.
Ollie was blessed to have a devoted friend through his sickness and I worried about Kobe feeling the loss of his companion. I hope he'll adjust to a new routine with you and the pain lessens. I pray that Bobbie is only feeling the change in your flock dynamic and is healthy. I do think they feed off of each others emotions even when they aren't friends. Hopefully, Kobe will take the lead again and cause just enough commotion and activity to lift Bobbie's spirit. God's blessings for them... and you!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Hi Roz, thinking of you and hoping Bobbie's vet appointment had good news! In any case, you need hugs! :bighug::sadhug2::bluhug::gbh:

Bobbie completely changed character the morning after Ollie's death. Very quiet and sleeping a lot. I thought she was missing him... I now think she might be sick. We have a vet appointment a week tomorrow (earliest he could see her). I am terrified she might also have PDD.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hugs. Those are always a good thing. Hugs to you and yours @Fuzzy

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
It is so hard, when we lose someone we care for... They will always stay alive in our memories... God Bless... :heart:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thank you, Pat. :heart2:

And thank you for asking about Bobbie, Debbie and Clueless. The vet suggests we address things one at a time. His physical exam showed a healthy bird, but said that a change of smell of the breath could indicate yeast or bacterial infection. She has also been moulting very heavily so he doesn't want to stress her further by taking blood until she is over the molt. So for now he suggests adding cider vinegar to her water (half a teaspoon to about 2 cups of water) and probiotics to her food (which I have been doing anyway). Next week I'm going to take poop samples for him to test. If these show nothing, the next step will be the blood test. And to also keep an eye on her weight - if she starts losing we'll do the blood test sooner.

I was hearing all this over the phone in the carpark outside the vet hospital because of Covid. It was hard to hear him... either my phone was muffled or it was my brain. I was hearing words and couldn't understand some of what he was saying. So I am guessing he wants me to deliver poop samples next week - he did say "don't leave it too long" and delivered Bobbie back to me with a fecal pot.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
And thank you for asking about Bobbie, Debbie and Clueless. The vet suggests we address things one at a time. His physical exam showed a healthy bird, but said that a change of smell of the breath could indicate yeast or bacterial infection. She has also been moulting very heavily so he doesn't want to stress her further by taking blood until she is over the molt. So for now he suggests adding cider vinegar to her water (half a teaspoon to about 2 cups of water) and probiotics to her food (which I have been doing anyway). Next week I'm going to take poop samples for him to test. If these show nothing, the next step will be the blood test. And to also keep an eye on her weight - if she starts losing we'll do the blood test sooner.

I was hearing all this over the phone in the carpark outside the vet hospital because of Covid. It was hard to hear him... either my phone was muffled or it was my brain. I was hearing words and couldn't understand some of what he was saying. So I am guessing he wants me to deliver poop samples next week - he did say "don't leave it too long" and delivered Bobbie back to me with a fecal pot.
Well, that sounds like a plan anyway. Moults ARE rough and poop is always easy to get.
I'm so thankful my vet allows one person to come in with their pet. It's hard enough.
:toyou: