• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Fluffy, tired parrotlet

Smeebs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vanessa
To jump straight into it- I need some help from other bird people to help me understand if there's something wrong with my parrotlet Twinkie. My vet is out until Monday and I need some peace of mind

So today I've noticed that my little boy Twinkie (Twee) has been sleepy. I tend to be rather neurotic when it comes to my birds. I don't know if this is just a me thing or if Twee's sleepiness has something to do with what I listed below which I think may have caused this.

1. It's been really cold here in northern New Jersey. My house is drafty despite the blankets we use to cover the drafty windows and doors. It's been getting cold inside as well as outside despite my struggle to keep it warm. We'll be getting relief tomorrow with some warmer weather, but as of right now keeping my house above 71-72F at night is challenging.

2. Yesterday this little dork dropped a poo in his water dish. I don't know how long his water was contaminated OR if he had drunken some, however it couldn't have been too long. My guess is maybe an hour seeing as I had company. (Of course his dish was washed immediately after seeing it.)

3. Now this one is important, as it's never happened before in the ten years I've owned parrots. Twinkie had managed to sprint under my thigh while leaning over to grab something and got a bit squished. NOT TERRIBLY! But I had put a tiny amount of weight on him. Tiny.
I've checked him out. Felt his chest, bones, breathing, watched him for a while and all seems well. When it happened he didn't even screech. But I don't know guys we all know how fragile birdies are.

He's been out with preening next to me for quite a bit now. When he stops preening he'll try to rest, but other than that he seems normal. I just don't know what to think :c

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Can you call another avian vet or tech at the clinic, just for their opinion? Maybe it has to do with #1 or 2, but an infection would surprise me as it would have had very little incubation time. Assuming it's the cold, perhaps you could put some hand/feet warmers wrapped in some vet tape or cloth in the cage, or have him sit on a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel

Smeebs

Real Name
Vanessa
Can you call another avian vet or tech at the clinic, just for their opinion? Maybe it has to do with #1 or 2, but an infection would surprise me as it would have had very little incubation time. Assuming it's the cold, perhaps you could put some hand/feet warmers wrapped in some vet tape or cloth in the cage, or have him sit on a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel
I can call and see what their emergency vets have to say, but unfortunately I don't believe any of them specialize in exotics. Though it wouldn't hurt to call.
Thank you for the suggestion

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I’m definitely not an expert but I believe parrotlets expend a lot of energy just being well parrotlets. If it is cold in your house and he is fighting to stay warm in addition to regular energy expenditure he is going to tire out quickly.

I would still try to check in with a vet because it’s very possible something else is going on. :)

Smeebs

Real Name
Vanessa
I’m definitely not an expert but I believe parrotlets expend a lot of energy just being well parrotlets. If it is cold in your house and he is fighting to stay warm in addition to regular energy expenditure he is going to tire out quickly.

I would still try to check in with a vet because it’s very possible something else is going on. :)
Very very true. Crazy peepers they are lol

Now I didn't mention this in my first message, however my room happens to be the only room in the whole house that can keep a decent temperature. I have no problems with taking my two feather boys upstairs and into my room but the real problem is that they'd need to be in their small cages. We use them to move the boys in case of an emergency and or vet visit. But I'm not sure they should be in them for too long. Figures they were bought at stores like Petco, as they're cheaply made and painted with paint I'm not comfortable having them accidentally ingest.
Sadly I've seen them pecking at the bars before smh. If anyone knows where to buy good SAFE portable cages please let me know :unsure1:

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
At a time like this, even a plastic dog/cat crate can be used. Just line the bottom with news paper then paper towel and a portion with towel to create a place where they can lay down or if you have a portable perch to put in along with their food and water bowls so they can be in a warm area.

Even better put a heating pad in and run the electric cord through one of the “window area or out the door. Make part the area free of the heating pad and part with the heating pad underneath for them to sit on. You don’t need to have a bird cage to use when you’re in the middle of a deep freeze.

Worst comes to worst use a Tupperware/Rubbermaid container to keep them in. Just be sure to punch tons of airholes in the cover so the air circulated and they get the fresh air they need. Then basically same drill of paper towels and towels. That can then be put 1/2 way into a heating pad to keep the fids warm.

These are obviously for short term use but definitely do what you need so they don’t get sick because they are putting everything into staying warm and nothing into staying healthy. There are all kinds of ideals under the thread of what are you doing to keep your birds warm during the polar vortex. :)