• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Floors being redone in apartment building - is it safe?

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
As the title says, the floors in our apartment building are being redone - so all the hallways, entrance, etc. Our unit is being left alone, it would just be the carpets outside in the hallway.

To my knowledge, it's being re-carpeted, so no poly or hardwood or anything like that, most likely just glue down or something. All they've done so far is pull all the old carpet up.

So far, we don't smell anything unusual in our unit, and the smell in the hall is very mild wood smell from whatever flooring was under the carpet.

We have an air purifier on 24/7 and i was thinking of putting it on turbo for the duration of the floor work.

Do yall think it's safe to keep our budgie here in the unit still? We weren't given much notice and i wasn't able to secure a sitter for him, and now i'd be more afraid to cart him through the halls after all the carpet has been torn up

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd be wary of keeping him in the apt since the new carpet may have a smell when they lay it down unless it's been aired out long enough before hand. When I moved to a new apt I had to wait an extra 5 days before I felt comfortable bringing my conure home because the carpet still had a strong smell.
If you can't take him elsewhere I'd at least put a towel against the base of the door to try to keep the possible smell out.

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
haven't been able to find anyone who can watch him yet ;-; fingers crossed i can!

We've got a towel at the base of all the doors, running the air purifier, and opening the window closest to his cage - so i'm hoping it'll be enough to keep things aired out and safe. I just wish our landlord had let us know in advance!!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
haven't been able to find anyone who can watch him yet ;-; fingers crossed i can!

We've got a towel at the base of all the doors, running the air purifier, and opening the window closest to his cage - so i'm hoping it'll be enough to keep things aired out and safe. I just wish our landlord had let us know in advance!!
Sounds like you've got everything under control. Oh yes that's the worst part about renting is you rarely fun get advanced warning.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi, from a landlord point of view…it’s hard to give much notice as it depends when it comes in, due to the amount that is ordered. Most of the time it is kept in a wharehouse So might have already been aired out as they have to unroll it to measure etc…

we Just re did the building I live in along with all the painting and so on. Bailey was here the whole time and we had no issues, but a towel at the door when you can will always help. The day they do the threshold they will most likely have to have your door open for a half hour or so. If you can, put him in the farthest room and I would think he will be ok.

like you I worried but the smell was very minimal. It’s not the same as the ones going into the units themselves as they cannot be aired out much, and usually different fibre composition…