• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

flight suits? aviators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unicornlady7

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Christa
Ok, I'm sure there is another thread somewhere on this subject.. If so and you give me the links, then I than you!I would like to try a flight suit of some sort with my GCC. I see the flight suites with the diapers and the aviator harnesses. Have you tried any and which did you like better if you've tried multiple ones?

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Mine HATE flight suits. I use feather tethers and they all don't mind those, as long as I bring them out right away.

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Thank you for your reply. I know there are a few different types out there. Some don't look like they would work very well for a smaller bird...

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
Jak hates flightsuits and keeps picking at the shoulder strap. Koi did not like the idea but once she was outside in it she kept trying to fly off and loved to check everything out.
When the weather here gets nicer I'll probably try them on an Aviator but it's still going to be over 100 degrees a few more months.

Karighan

Hit the Road
Real Name
Liz
Cash wears a flightsuit, and doesn't mind it at all. When she sees it, she knows she's going bye-bye, and she LOVES bye-bye with me. Flightsuits are as secure and strong as harnesses, even with their attachments being velcro. And are certainly appropriate for GCCs. Though, I wish I'd ordered Cash a petite instead of a 'small'. She's a TEENY GCC.

The plus to most flightsuits is the poop-trap. You can take your bird to public places and not worry about getting poo on your clothes. (Or someone else's). And the trick to getting them used to it is playing with them with it. Hanging it in their cage, and some such.

Kmurph43

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kim
I have the Aviator Harness and Lucy does really well with it. Easy on and easy off, plus it's really strong. We only go in my yard or on walks in the neighborhood, so I don't really care where she poops:lol: I might come up with a different system when we go somewhere other than where I have mentioned.

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Thank you for the input! After Aristotle's well check, I'm going to stopn at the bird store around the corner. She has a couple of different kinds there. I'd like to start training him/her on it soon. Even with Loki's recent accident, I would like to alow my fids to have their wings. It makes them so much happier(to me). We've gotten even MORE safety oriented and now even my kids and hubby even do a check for windows and fans before getting them out. We'll see how it goes. Not much seems to bother Aristotle so maybe he/she will tolerate it?

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have an Aviator as well as another harness, the Aviator which I use on my GCCs.

If Aristotle is used to being touched around the back and lifting wings and being able to touch the head, it makes it a lot easier. If not, it makes it a tad harder, but it isn’t impossible at all, there have been people that have trained younger and older birds that have never had a harness on successfully – it is just patience and time. :)

Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: Harness Training Your Parrot

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Lol! Aristotle lifts his wings to let you pet his sides. This is the most tolerant, trusting bird I've ever had! That's why I was wanting to give it a try. All I can picture in my head is the times I tried a harness with my cat..he acted like I put a 100lb weight on him! Lol!

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I was harness training Wes with the aviator harness. I hear that the feather tethers are kinda bulky and not great for a GC.

Crackaleen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I have both a flight suit and an aviator harness. Buddy hates the flight suit with a passion. When I put it on him he would spend the entire time chewing on the shoulder strap and velcro. The extra weight of the diaper part completely threw off his balance too so he wasn't able to walk correctly or fly well. And while the whole idea of keeping your clothes clean is nice, I didn't like how the poop tended to build up and actually got on his feathers on some occasions.
I like the design of the aviator harness better, but honestly I haven't been able to use it yet. After our experiences with the flight suit, I doubt Buddy is ever going to willingly let me harness him again. I'm still working with Pixie, but we're not yet at the point where I can put it on her.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I have the feather teather for ralphie. I like it a lot actually. I really like the design of it (they use a different design for larger birds)

It has a figure 8 style for the small birds.

284260_1564231352461_1435681372_31703351_3658808_n.jpg

Ralphie doesn't mind it as much once we go outside. He is such a priss about his feathers and I think that's why he doesn't like wearing it.

HollyDube

Moving in
Real Name
Holly Dube
Ok I just purchased an Aviator Harness. I have been reading lots of positive feedback on this harness. When I got Mojo back, I was told by his former owners that they brought him outside and he stayed close, but I am a paranoid bird mommy and don't want anything to startle him off and lose him. Any thoughts on the Aviator Harness. I would love to get the other birds out on a harness also but starting with Mojo cause he lets me do just about anything to him, some of my other birds are a bit shy right now, so I don't think they will tolerate me touching their wings. But I wanna get Mojo out to the park and maybe a few walks through the neighborhood. Not to mention, I want to bring him to see his last momma and papa, cause they miss him like crazy and I am sure he feels the same.

petah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Peter
I have an Aviator as well as another harness, the Aviator which I use on my GCCs.

If Aristotle is used to being touched around the back and lifting wings and being able to touch the head, it makes it a lot easier. If not, it makes it a tad harder, but it isn’t impossible at all, there have been people that have trained younger and older birds that have never had a harness on successfully – it is just patience and time. :)

Good Bird Inc Parrot Training Talk: Harness Training Your Parrot
Barbara's article/video is pretty good but Michael's show you the complete progress and more useful for you to see how long it may take! (he says 3 days for his parrot but I am thinking probably more than a week depending on the parrot)
Parrot Forum • View topic - Flight Harness Training Parrot

And this one for his Cape parrot.
How to Put Aviator Flight Harness on Cape Parrot - Trained Parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.