• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flight recall training with Léa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I think I just might try this!

After yesterday's success of having her fly down from higher up at me, I decided to try again tonight.

Like yesterday, Léa was on the Wingdow and I was on my bed. I very clearly showed her the almond and then put it in my other hand, which I had flat open. I was hoping Léa would land on my hand (instead of on the bed) this time and guess what...she did!

I was so proud of her. There is clearly some potential here to have her fly to us. I'll definitively will continue training her to fly downwards :)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
She didn't land on your head?! Booooo! No fun! :D

Great job Lea!! She is obviously going to do great with flight recall training.

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
Woot woot! :dance4: Looking forward to an AWESOME flight pic of Lea from your awesome camera haha!

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
There is clearly some potential here to have her fly to us. I'll definitively will continue training her to fly downwards :)
Yep, she appears to be a great candidate for recall training. I'm glad you're seriously considering this. :thumbsup:

My ultimate dream is freeflight, but one needs extreme courage to try it even with advanced recall training after many years.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Yep, she appears to be a great candidate for recall training. I'm glad you're seriously considering this. :thumbsup:My ultimate dream is freeflight, but one needs extreme courage to try it even with advanced recall training after many years.
Yeah i'm not sure I'd ever have the courage to do that outside - inside a large room with no possible exit and easy access to her should she land elsewhere, sure ;)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Woot woot! :dance4: Looking forward to an AWESOME flight pic of Lea from your awesome camera haha!
I need more practice with those type of pictures first ;)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
She didn't land on your head?! Booooo! No fun! :DGreat job Lea!! She is obviously going to do great with flight recall training.
Almond in hand, head is a bit of a stretch to get to it ;)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Update for today.

On top of flying straight to me this morning from the Wingdow when I entered the bedroom (the boyfriend had let her out), we did the same flying down exercise this evening as these past few days. Except that today the almond wasn't tempting her...but the bribe of a string of wooden beads did - she flew right to my hand again!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Yay Lea!!! You are awesome girl!!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Natacha, are you going to be using a clicker to train her by any chance?
I could, I have one around but I was considering just cues & praise.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Today I did things differently, I was just finished with cleaning her cage and she was on the bed so I took an almond and had her fly to me (standing) from where she was on the bed. she flew to me right away :)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
She's really a quick study. You have a gem in Lea. :heart: :cool10:
I really do :)

Earlier this afternoon, twice when I saw that she was ready to fly off where she was I took the opportunity to lift my arm and invite her to come over and she did. And then later twice I bribed her to come to me for an almond :)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Yea!! She is awesome!!! :dance4:

CosmoKramer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zach
Wow what awesome progress! Lea is so smart :)
I think I might steal a couple of your ideas and try them with Emmy, I think it would make her a more confident flyer

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Wow what awesome progress! Lea is so smart :)I think I might steal a couple of your ideas and try them with Emmy, I think it would make her a more confident flyer
Let us know how it goes! :)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Today was my first back at work - when I came back home, I came back home, I got Lea out while my SO took care of the smaller ones (roles were reversed this morning). I decided to do some distance flight recall training(instead of having her come down to me) by placing myself in the opposite side of the room from the Wingdow. The first flight to me got rewarded with an almond but I decided to try to have her come back to me after that for nothing but praise. She ended up flying three times back to me (and always went back to the Wingdow on her own). I think she enjoyed the challenge of landing on my arm and the exercise that the almond was totally not necessary!

Status
Not open for further replies.