• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Flash photography and birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I want to share something I learned a few years ago. At that time I did not have a camera that has an external flash that bounces the light off the ceiling and not directly in the bird's face. I also did not have good lighting. But I was unaware and merrily took pics of my birds at whatever range UNTIL one fine day I accidentally flashed myself in the eyes. :omg: it was horrible! I was blinded for a while and then saw spots for the longest time :eek: . i felt SO bad I had been subjecting my poor birds to this blinding flash for several weeks after getting my first camera. Sometimes I would even get cute pictures when they closed their eyes at the flash. But :omg: after that day my eyes were opened (pun intended :lol:) and though i could not upgrade to a camera that can attach a bounce flash at that time, i improved the lighting in the rooms and tried as much as possible to use natural light. :)

MollyMouse

Biking along the boulevard
Thanks so much for sharing that, it's good to know!!:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:huh: Oooh. Could this be why Sachi HATES the camera?:confused:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I hate using the flash, I turn up the ISO. In a darker area of the house I put the ISO up to around 800 or 1000.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Noodle loves my camera, she licks and flies onto it and gets extra excited, I don't think my flash is all that strong though and my SLR is a wee bit broken still.

I should get that fixed >.<

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I try not to use flash whenever possible as well. Setting up lighting not only brings out better color, but I'm sure it's less intrusive lol

A little random note....my art school friends and I were in one of their dorms and he said "hey shut off the light" so we did and he put his face next to a flash that attaches to a digital SLR. To my horror, in the darkness and when i closed my eyes, all i could see was his face! lol I wonder what the poor birdies see since they see light differently in some respects.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I hate using the flash, I turn up the ISO. In a darker area of the house I put the ISO up to around 800 or 1000.
All my bird photos are taken with high ISO and no flash as my enclosure has Aluminum Screen and if you try to use a flash through it all you get is a white pic! LOL

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Thanks for the tip :)

BakeBeanPie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elizabeth
That's why I don't use flash plus I find it looks unnatural.

Maybe that's why I don't like my photos taken lol. Film cameras. :p

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Thanks for the tip, Saroj!

Rebecca in Israel

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Rebecca
I use a higher ISO and set my camera to Macro so that I can actually take clearer shots with no over exposure. If a shot does come out slighty underexposed there are techniques in the programme which will adjust the lighting just as they do in the photo developping shops. Before shooting I give a half press and the camera refocuses and adjust lighting. It is all in how the camera is set up in the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.