• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fish Question

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Monica I have two pathos growing at the surface! :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some fish LOVE hard water! It doesn't mean it is necessarily bad :)

It is very easy to find water info.
For example:
https://buffalowater.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/2018-2019-Water-Quality-Report.pdf

@Rain Bow I lived in Buffalo for awhile! Small world.
Really small world! I know that some do very well in it, we had beautiful fish for many many years. For some reason, the types of cat fish that this Mom & Pop place carried seemed particularly sensitive. Honestly, I think they were looking for the fast family aquarium types, that think it's a good idea for a Xmas holiday & then once they get tired stop because of all the "actaul work" it takes for proper maintenance. I always got sad when a family w/ a bunch of kids & the 5 or 6 (2) gallon tanks were bought. No one should be in that small of a tank, IMO, even a betta. Just made my heart break.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Finally caught up. I feel like I'm so behind my worlds a little turned around. I actually tried to put Buddy to bed tonight & realized his mini foraging seed time hadn't even been done. Couldn't figure out why he wasn't stepping up for me & was trying to run around. Just off in general, phone's been ringing all day.

@Monica my husband handled the water quality stuff most of the time. It's been forever since we had fish. Maybe it's time to start it up again. The only thing I would do is start learning the water quality stuff again. I made too many aquarium mistakes when I was young, now that I know it was wrong, I wouldn't attempt w/out fixing my known mistakes 1st.

@taxidermynerd
This thread is making me miss having fish, & especially snails. They were always my favorite.

The wee little snails are great but because they can self propigate they can chew up a live plant tank.

My favorite were the apple snails. I loved when they would stick they're syphon tube out of water. I had a single snail when I first started w/ them. He was in this beautiful solid square bowl. He used to stick his syphon & inflate himself w/in his shell.

There was nothing else in that tank & other than a small table top oxygen pump filter, no real current. He would let most of his body out & it looked like his foot was dancing. TY for that memory, it was the happiest feeling I just felt!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Here are the much-desired pics. The first one is the 40 gallon community tank (complete with mystery snail on the glass), the 2nd is my 5 gal (with java fern and assassin snails), the 3rd is my betta, Saturn, he shares a 10 gallon with a mystery snail.