• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time Pionus

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Baby wipes, do they disinfect? I use bleach wipes around my bird with no problem. Good idea about changing your clothes, and don’t forget shoes. A Vet told me a long time ago people forget shoes and bring germs in on them.

That’s not the Pi’s regular cage, right? It’s pretty small.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Since I have never quarantined a Pionus before, can I use baby wipes? The rubbing alcohol is drying me up!
Baby wipes will never disinfect you.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I use the bacteria killing wipes. I just call all wipes baby wipes.
How do your birds react to bleach wipes? Don't bleach wipes hurt them? I was talking about on my skin.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Sorry I can't help you out! We have had so many rescued species over the years but that is one we have on the had. We wish you the best and I'm sure you will get some great advice on AA.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Sherman is beautiful.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
That’s not the Pi’s regular cage, right? It’s pretty small.
No, that's the travel cage. We visited the AV yesterday, so I had to put her in it. Her daycage wouldn't even fit through my quarantine room doorway until I took the door off its hinges! Plus, I had to take the play gym on top off to get it through. The feed catchers had to be added in the room, too. Sherman lives in my biggest cage.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
No, that's the travel cage. We visited the AV yesterday, so I had to put her in it. Her daycage wouldn't even fit through my quarantine room doorway until I took the door off its hinges! Plus, I had to take the play gym on top off to get it through. The feed catchers had to be added in the room, too. Sherman lives in my biggest cage.
That’s what I thought, since you mentioned the AV. :)

Ernie travels in a dog crate. LOL

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I got the travel cage from her previous owner. Sherman gets carsick which is sad :sad4: because we're on the road for over an hour each way. Also, since she and JoJo went at the same time, it made cage cleaning much easier! :dancing:
With the door always closed and their quiet personalities, I don't think either one knew the other existed until yesterday. Wait until the conures move in!:glowlol:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I was told that the new WC should have a night cage after quarantine. This would not be a problem. Does she need a separate night/sleep cage?
I'm concerned that everybirdie sleeps in my bedroom. Is this okay? Would this Pionus get along with the conures? It certainly would be easier to have them ALL roost in my bedroom.

Lauren

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I think it's a personal preference for a sleep cage.

I thought about doing it for my two, mainly for emergency's sake. IE: if there was a fire in the middle of the night and we had to grab the birds and go, their night cages would be a pet carrier.

As far as them getting along with each other, that's really up to each individual birb! Seth and Lily tolerate each other, some days they'll be side by side on me getting cuddles, other days, Seth is ripping into her foot and vice versa. Lily can fly away from Seth if he's a bully, but Seth also gets bullied much more as he cannot fly and he's limited to where he can waddle to :(

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I thought about doing it for my two, mainly for emergency's sake. IE: if there was a fire in the middle of the night and we had to grab the birds and go, their night cages would be a pet carrier
I think a night/sleep cage is in order.
Sherman is so quiet and patient with me. I've never had a bird purr at me before.
Sherman watched closely as I put Nasturtium flowers in her treat cup and about 5 minutes later went to inspect them. Having flower and vegetable gardens is really sweet because I know exactly what goes on them. BTW, my Dianthus is flowering like crazy. JoJo will have nothing to do with those blooms. What about Sherman the WC?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Sherman's got an orange beak from the carrots she 44 eating. It's hard to believe she hasn't even been here a week. I think she's so sweet!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I really wanted a pionus. I think they are somewhat mellow & sweet.

I found Penny the hawkhead & she is sweet too...bit more active but fun!...

Today she was laughing while I was talking on the phone to my mom,,,
My mom heard!!!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Hey, @Dartman and @Eloy, it was recommended that I contact y'all about my Pi.

Sherman seems awfully quiet. She hisses more than anything else.

Sherman also ignores her hanging toys. She has chewed a bit on the natural branches I put in her cage. She did pull some things from her forage basket secretly, but only once in the 3 weeks next week that she's lived here.

She gets garden vegetables and pellets. I put some uncut vegetables (cucumber, radish, pole beans) in her forage basket, too. She wasn't interested in the chop with greens, sprouts and pasta. She seems to prefer either thick slices or big pieces. She doesn't seem a bit interested in anything but carrot, bell pepper and corn in one bowl and pellets in the other. How can she be enticed to try other foods?

She doesn't seem hormonal right now as I would expect her to being a parrot , but she does seem rather territorial. I can't touch or get close to her based on her body language.

A 27yo Yellow-naped Amazon is moving in shortly in mid-June and two 15mo conures in late-June. I'm concerned that she won't be up for any social interaction after their quarantines.

She's my first Pi but not my first rehome. Trust comes slowly in these cases, I know, but she needs and deserves good basic care. She hasn't even tried to venture out of her cage yet.

Any help, guidance or comments will be great!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Not Dartman or Eloy, but that's pretty much how Ernie has been. Not too social. He wasn't interested in toys but he does a little more now (not too much).

Territorial is normal for a Pi, get her away from the cage and it will improve some.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Give her the time she needs and be the treat person and fun to hang around with one as well. Lurch took fully 5 years to very slowly decide I didn't need to be constantly bit and corrected and it started out as he getting a bit closer to me all the time as he hung outside for the day. first it was on a chair beside me, then the back of my chair, then MAYBE on the arm, eventually on my knee, then wanting scritches and treats directly from me. At the end of his time here he would fly after me like a feathered puppy when I left the room. He was always a bit grumpy and very cage aggressive so I had to read him and leave him alone when he was in a mood and don't reach into his cage unless it was obvious he was OK with it that day. Most of my Pionus have been ver gaurded about their home so that is typical and if they aren't comfy they'll huff or growl and fluff up as a warning, watch their eyes too.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Thanks to you both!
Lurch took fully 5 years to very slowly decide I didn't need to be constantly bit and corrected
I knew you had mentioned Lurch before. Any ideas about food?
What about her seeming lack of hormonal behavior?
With other birds coming, I didn't want to overwhelm her. She has her own room with both her cages. I've decided to let her stay in it even after quarantine. If she chooses to come out, she can or, if she'd rather, she can hide out there. The door will be open during the day.
It hasn't even been a 3 weeks, so I'm not really concerned about much.
Territorial is normal for a Pi, get her away from the cage and it will improve some.
Her only time away from her daycage was an AV visit (which she hated, especially with JoJo acting like a pro).

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
All my guys loved Nutri Berries and Zupreem pellets. They all like apples and depending on the bird certain veggies are big hits, plus whatever safe people food they can steal. Nerd LOVED raw broccoli and apples, plus pumpkins and their seeds. Lurch liked apples and bananas as long as he thought he could sneak up and punch a hole in one. Dobby has eaten many things but here he likes his pellets and Nutri Berries, and love walnut meats. I think he likes stealing bananas too and some veggies and fruits. I think Momazon used to feed him oatmeal and hot cereal type stuff as he always gets into the breakfast pan and grubs out when he can sneak over and get into it.
He likes bells and ANYTHING he can chew up as well. He seems to really LOVE plastic soda caps to chew on and he doesn't seem to actually eat any of it, just shred it and chew for fun. He's chewed on the BIG shredding toys I got from Jan at Blu's Bird Toys too occasionally. Lurch liked a string ball that he could beat the snot outa while looking at me like this could be you, and Nerd LOVED his bells and his volcanic rock he chewed on and scratched his head with.
They all are their own individuals so you'll have to try things and see what she really likes as one size doesn't fit all.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
They all are their own individuals so you'll have to try things and see what she really likes as one size doesn't fit all.
I remember being verbally reprimanded for telling a professor that the world would be a simpler place if everyone was the same! HAHA
I just wanted to be sure she wasn't being mistreated, again, even accidentally. I can't imagine anyone abusing such a sweetheart.:sad8: