• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First time here...

Kuna Monyet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
johnson
I giving him zupreem fruit blend pellets and tropical fruits.. sunflower seeds are very less for him. I planning to buy more foraging toys. Want to make him busy..

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Hi Kunalan! Welcome To Avian Avenue!!!! :goodluck: :welcomesign: :welave:

Deueller

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Zach
Welcome!!!

I have a plucker on my hands too, Have You taken him to the vet yet at all? Occasionally there can be an underlying cause. My Brown headed has a skin infection that was causing her to itch, and once we took care of it, she slowed down a lot.

I know some birds will pluck if they have dyes in the food, and I do know that the fruit blend has dyes because I gave that to Luna also and switched her to a natural pellet.

Sometimes things can trigger it, and only you or a behaviorist can figure that out.

But a vet is a great place to start, that rules out illness. Then from there you can try other things if it's a behavior issues.

Good Luck, even though the skin infection is gone Luna still plucks sometimes, it's a lifelong uphill battle :(

Kuna Monyet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
johnson
Hi to all, I brought him to the vet, they suspected it's behaviour problem. Already done some test.. so I very worried now. Any advise guys?

Deueller

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Zach
Sometimes mine will overpreen if they are nervous. I've been trying a supplement called avicalm and had some success and it's something you can't overdose, so you can always increase if you want a "greater effect."

There are also stores that have toys specifically for pluckers, I would definitely suggest looking into them especially at MySafeBirdStore!

I also made sure I was spending Quality time with her, talking and playing with her on me or near me. Not just "out of cage time."

Lastly you could try a soft collar (which some people make on here, I hope they chime in!!) or a vest (which my bird absolutely hated) which they sell at Flight Quarters.

I Hope this Helps!! ;)

Deueller

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Zach
Also, one things I've been doing and have had a lot of success with is simply distracting her with a toy every time i see her over preen or try to pluck, I will hand her a toy to destroy. It might take a few tries, but eventually I hope she learns to play with toys instead of her feathers.

hockeymomwood

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen
:hello1:

Kuna Monyet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
johnson
Thanks for the advise deueller! I very eager to the see soft collar photo, atleast I can DIY over here...