• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First molt = very cranky bird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inheavenlygrass

Walking the driveway
Hello there, my GCC Kiwi is now into her first molt and boy is she cranky! She's miserable and itchy all the time and she won't let me help to preen her. This is probably because the new feathers are just coming out of the skin right now and are sore and haven't gotten long enough to have a sheath that I'd be able to help her with. Is there anything I can do to help out my poor uncomfortable baby? I'm giving her daily baths already. Are there any foods that would help? I just want her to feel better. And hopefully stop chomping on me every time I accidentally touch a blood feather:p She's pulling a Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde routine right now, she doesn't want to be touched, but she wants to cuddle in my pyjama top with me, where she can quack contentedly:lol:

animallover

Jogging around the block
I have a 5 month old crimson bellied conure who also started to molt in the last week or so. He too is a little fussy, not really cranky yet but not his usual self. He is bathing daily in his water dish and preening a lot too. I have heard that red plum oil is supposed to be good for molting birds but not sure as I have never used it. I think it is something we will just have to go through with them and maybe just try to help them with the feathers when they come in and when the birds let us. Good lulck be patient.

animallover

Jogging around the block
Have you heard of avi-calm? Look it up it might help, it is a calming agent for birds.

Aylakai

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kim
I'm going through the same exact thing as you, in fact we are at the same stage as well. Emmi will let me scratch her, but then I'm constantly doing it WRONG according to her...then she asks for more. Lol I'm being so gental too! But I understand. It must be so uncomfortable!

I was told to give her some kind of protein every day to help and also sprouted seeds. I guess there is a lot of amino acids and vitamins in the sprouts that help with the molt. For protien, I'm going to give her some hard boiled egg tonight and maybe some chicken tomorrow or beans if I have time. I'm still looking up what seeds to sprout that will work the best.

GinnyK

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ginny
I have a 5 month old crimson bellied conure who also started to molt in the last week or so. He too is a little fussy, not really cranky yet but not his usual self. He is bathing daily in his water dish and preening a lot too. I have heard that red plum oil is supposed to be good for molting birds but not sure as I have never used it. I think it is something we will just have to go through with them and maybe just try to help them with the feathers when they come in and when the birds let us. Good lulck be patient.
I believe you mean red palm oil? Coconut oil (cold pressed extra virgin) is also good.
Bathing and extra proteins are good.
But my best advice is to just be patient and ride it out with them :)
They are miserable and uncomfortable and since its the first molt, they are likely
thinking what the heck is going on here??!! :huh:

Milo started his first not too long ago and boy was he miserable.
When Piper goes through a heavier than usual molt he gets crabby too.
But it passes ;)
I just leave them be for the most part and take the nips when they want snuggles :heart:

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
Yep, Hana is just entering her 5th month and getting pinny too. She gets sprouts and coconut oil and baths, but ultimately it's just something they gotta go through; careful scritches required.

Status
Not open for further replies.