• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First macaw Suggestions

Bulldogs&Birds

Meeting neighbors
Hey everyone! I have been thinking about getting a macaw, and I need suggestions on what kind I should get. I was going to get a Hahn’s, but then I read that they can get aggressive and territorial. I have owned birds before, just never macaws. I would like to get one of the minis instead of a larger macaw. I have a younger brother and sister, so the bird would have to be good around children. Price wouldn’t matter and I know how every bird is different, and how their behavior depends on how they are raised. Still, please leave how your experience has been with macaws and what type you recommend. Thanks!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
All macaws can be aggressive and territorial. Hormonal macaws of any species are often a force to be reckoned with.

Macaws are also big. Even the smallest ones are big. It isn't so much whether the bird is good with kids as whether the kids are good with birds. Any bird might give wandering children's fingers a whack, but that means a lot more from a macaw's beak than a cockatiel's.

You may find your best bet is meeting individual macaws and finding one who meshes well with your family dynamics. It's hard to find the right bird based on species alone, since no individual bird meets every one of its species' generalised traits.

People don't often like that advise, but it's the best I can offer. I've met many mini macaws with severe attitude and many large macaws who are big babies. And vice versa. You just need to find that one special bird.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also, since you live with your siblings, does that mean you still live with your parents?
Macaws live for a very, very long time. Are you prepared to bring your macaw along through all of life's highs and lows for, quite possibly, the rest of your life?

Doctress

Strolling the yard
I wouldn’t recommend a Severe macaw, unless you’re very VERY patient. Definitely not for people with small kids around. My Georgie Girl was a terror for the first 5 years of her life- biting, screaming, very territorial. She calmed down, and became a great companion. She died at age 21.

I don’t see anything wrong with being a young bird owner, as long as you’re committed to your bird. Mini macaws are rehomed frequently due to their attitudes, and many owners aren’t willing to stick it out.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Welcome to AA!

Meeting the bird really is the only way to know what they're like, and even then, their age and exposure to a new environment could change that. Some macaws don't like kids, my Sam loves kids as long as they know to keep their hands to themselves.

Are you considering a baby or an adult? Babies can change as they grow Baby to adult. Will they still love me? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
adults seem to be more stable.
The cost of the bird really isn't anything compared to the feed, the toys, and the vet visits.

I can't recommend a particular species as I only have experience with one, if there is a rescue around you, it could help you to go and meet the individuals. Volunteering is a great way of finding a bird who will decide to pick you, that's how I was picked by a macaw. What made you decide that you wanted a macaw in particular?

Doctress

Strolling the yard
Thanks for the advice everyone! I guess I got a little over my head wanting a macaw. But you can’t blame me, they are all adorable! I think I might stay with conures for now.
I know! I miss my Georgie Girl, and still plan for a big macaw someday in the future...for now I’ll stick to my little flock. They’re great birds, just not for everyone at every stage of life.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
You received some great advise. Concurs are great little birds but a macaw is a whole game changer-I always tell people that are thinking of getting macaws they are like 3-5 year old kids that never grow up-they are very smart and pick up good & bad habits-depends on the training they receive-great example, my Military macaw was a rescue and would scream her fool head off to get what she wanted, to the point I would leave the house because I couldn't take it-the hardest part is not giving in to those screams-no reaction and she will stop. That took almost a 6 months. Birds personalities change all the time-whether it be a rescued bird or not. I have now had her almost 5 years and she is a whole different bird but it took a lot of time . Macaws make you work for their trust and watch out if they decide they don't like you. I am not trying to decoupage you but going from Concurs to a big bird is a big jump. Highly recommend visiting any place that has big birds & allows you to interact with them..learn body language, see them in different times of the day ( my blue n gold macaw is one happy bird until 6 pm, then she wants her dinner and then bed and she is a monster if it doesn't happen ) Another thing people don't realize is they are very messy, cages constantly need cleaning-that in itself is a chore....with a macaw you will need lots of room for the largest cage you can get. If you have a passion for birds you will do your research and you will know when the right bird comes along.

issajoy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
I would definitely say just visit rescues and shops until you meet the right birdie - personalities are so different from bird to bird, regardless of species. Mentally prepare yourself to commit to this bird for potentially the rest of your life, make sure you are able to afford upkeep, have enough space for the bird, and can commit the time and love they need. Then when the right bird comes along, you will be ready!

I knew I wanted a parrot after growing up with two Ekkies, I was really open to any type of bird that was the right fit for me. When I moved after graduating college, I made sure the apartment was bird friendly and paid special attention to the sound between units!!! (Live in an building with masonry separating the units, it is probably the best I could hope for. No doubt they can still hear Ollie when she's screaming, as birds do, but it's not unbearable). I saved up money, measured how big of a cage I could get, got rid of anything that wasn't bird safe, researched, researched, researched and then when I felt I was ready, I started visiting local places with no expectation to find the perfect bird on any visit. Love always finds you at the right time, patience is key.

I ended up meeting Ollie on a visit when she was 5 months old, and it was an instant connection between her, me and my girlfriend. Did a lot more research to make sure I was really prepared for a big bird like a macaw. We were able to take her home about a month later and she has been a light in my life ever since. She definitely has challenges and I know that there will be ups and downs (especially around puberty) but me and my girlfriend are committed to raising this baby and having her with us always.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Just my suggestion, please find local rescue that allows volunteers. Go volunteer , work with all the birds not just macaws. It's the best way to learn about the ins and outs of all type of birds.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
All very good advice.....the bit about macaws being messy is put very nicely lol.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My first macaw was a rescued severe macaw. Fred was ten when I got him a few years ago and had been cage bound almost his whole life. He wasn’t an easy bird, but he chose us so he became family. I have to disagree about saying they’re all not good around small children. I now have a second severe macaw with Fred (he’s blossomed with the friendship of one of his own species) and they are both very gentle to my youngest daughter. (She’s 4 now but was 2 when we first got Fred) He literally licks oatmeal off her hand and makes sweet sounds. Meanwhile if an adult tried that he screeches lol. So it really depends on the birds individual personality vs what their species may be known for.
I also have a blue and gold macaw and they’re known as silly clowns. My guy could not be further from that lol. He’s a quiet loving, slow moving only kind of macaw.
So I agree with what others have said in recommending meeting some birds in person to get a feel for them.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Please take the article that Beanie of Justice suggested, Baby to Adult will they still love me.

I never believed any of this behavior, attitude change was of any consequence. Yep had to learn the hard way. My very sweet baby boy loved and snuggled me for years. I’d get home and he would yell “Mama kiss me mama hurry come and kiss me”
Now he is in his teen mode. His eyes pin, he lunges at me and seriously too.
And when I fall for our old “kids me mama” he latches onto my lip applies pressure and twists. Yes it hurts - my lip and my feelings and yes it bleeds. I have other macaws who haven’t reacted this way but he was my sweetest guy. I also syringe fed him at home. Someone explained it to me once that no one not even a parrot wants their mama for a mate and it’s the human teens version of pushing me away. Some of my best relationships with my birds are with the ones that came as adults. Consistently knowing how they will respond nicely to me daily