• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First ever Lorikeet experience :D

Scorch

Strolling the yard
So, if you have seen my previous posts, you would know that I am unable to have a bird for a number of reasons. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying a bird's company :D. For those who live in the West Midlands, you may know that there is a sort of Drive Thru Zoo called Safari Park. In this amusement park, you are able to hand feed animals (they sell you pellets to feed the animals) while driving down the 'zoo'. Later on you reach a place where you can go on rollercoasters, watch sea lion shows, see bats etc. One of the attractions were being able to enter a room filled with Rainbow Lorikeets with a small dish of nectar. It was the best thing ever as it was the first time a parrot landed on my hand. Actually several of them landed on me and started devouring the nectar. As soon as the nectar finished, they all flew off except one. He cocked his head at me and watched me, I put my finger near him wondering if he is used to stepping up and he casually just hopped on. I had some nectar on my finger so I let him lick it and it was the best feeling ever. He then decided that he wanted to climb to my head so he did and stayed there for a while until he started exploring my backpack. He stayed on me until someone else came with nectar, it was a beautiful experience. I wondered if they were all this tame but they weren't, all of them would just usually eat and fly away but that Lorikeet was special. Anyway for those who want to know, the Lorikeets seemed to be well cared for, they had plenty of room and they seemed to be healthy and happy. They are definitely used to people and aren't even bothered if a child gets frightened and cries - they just guzzle up the nectar and fly up to their trees. So this is my first Lorikeet experience, I know it isn't particularly exciting but I found it thrilling. Bye!:D
:rl:
PS: I will try to post pictures of the lorikeets as I think my mum took a few.

Scorch

Strolling the yard
Here is a picture, just wondering if he looks healthy cuz I don't have much experience so I wouldn't know. Also, he looks like he is scavenging for that last bit of nectar :p.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
At the Aviary here in Pittsburgh, you can feed the lories too. I love doing it. They are just so cute.

Scorch

Strolling the yard
At the Aviary here in Pittsburgh, you can feed the lories too. I love doing it. They are just so cute.
The feeling is so magical isn't it. I guess I go even more crazy for it because I can't get my own bird. By chance, the most confident cheeky little clown flew over to me and he is so adorable that I even bought a plush lorikeet in the souvenir store to remember him. :D

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
He looks healthy. Looks just like one of my guys :)

Scorch

Strolling the yard
He looks healthy. Looks just like one of my guys :)
That's good, he certainly seemed healthy. Every time I see a bird, I automatically examine it to see if its healthy or not, I have no idea why, I just seem to inspect it for plucking or something similar. Even while watching documentaries in class, I would blurt out the species of random parrots and either I get in trouble or a certain teacher will ask me more about that parrot as he seems to want to get one. :D