• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fire alarms decibels?

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
How many decibels are fire alarms? How do fire alarms compare to some parrot species?

I have a broken fire alarm that seems to spring into action randomly, regardless if its triggered or not. I'm just trying to imagine how loud some parrots are as I've never had the experience of being able to hear a parrot scream.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think fire alarms can vary a lot.. I googled quickly and found that they're required to be between 75-120 dB. The loudest parrots (and dogs) can reach about 120 dB also. Of course there is a great deal of species difference in potential volume and even within a species, there can be a lot of variation with some individuals rarely screaming and others screaming a lot.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've never had the experience of being able to hear a parrot scream.

Well come on over. We'll give you all the experience you could possibly want right at around 120dB. :lol:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Jets taking off are 110 db...

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
I think fire alarms can vary a lot.. I googled quickly and found that they're required to be between 75-120 dB. The loudest parrots (and dogs) can reach about 120 dB also. Of course there is a great deal of species difference in potential volume and even within a species, there can be a lot of variation with some individuals rarely screaming and others screaming a lot.
Darn!

Well come on over. We'll give you all the experience you could possibly want right at around 120dB. :lol:
I'm tempted if you have tea LOL

Jets taking off are 110 db...
having been on a couple airplanes recently, I'm starting to think that maybe my imagination can't quite wrap itself around anything over 100 dbs... :backout:

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I have a broken fire alarm that seems to spring into action randomly, regardless if its triggered or not. I'm just trying to imagine how loud some parrots are as I've never had the experience of being able to hear a parrot scream.
Have you replaced that malfunctioning fire alarm yet? You realize they are only good for about 10 years and this is one you should cannot rely on it working if there should be a fire.

HyacinthWings

Walking the driveway
Real Name
June
Have you replaced that malfunctioning fire alarm yet? You realize they are only good for about 10 years and this is one you should cannot rely on it working if there should be a fire.
Yes, it's fixed! Thank you for your concern. :3