• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

FINALLY a feather!

Linearis

Walking the driveway
My bird has been molting a lil here and there and finally I see a feather on each side peeking out of her wings. Makes me happy but of course she still can't fly. xD I know they lose one feather on each side but does it take the same amount of time between feathers or is this indication of her about to lose more feathers very soon? x.x I've had her for over 3 months now but this is the first sign of progress for her wings. Now that she has a new feather I wonder how much longer we both have to wait. :/

Also I wonder how many she needs before she can fly moderately well.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:congrats5:

It sounds like a Fid milestone! I know when my guy looses them it's usually a feather on 1 side & the next day it's a feather on the other side. For what I call molting losses. It sounds like you have more molting coming. I know it feels like a life time till she can fly, but be patient it will be on top of you before you know it.

:bighug: Rain

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Haha thanks, yeah the one feather is on both sides already, just wondering when the others will pop up now.

Note that this isn't first time she is growing primaries, just she came to me clipped so I have to wait for them to grow back now. :(

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy still has 1 clipped feather left, it's now been over 1 year ago, his annual came & went in Aug. I wish I could help more. Sorry.

:gbh: Rain

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
I am really proud of one of my little birdies he is growing his feathers back REMARKABLY! :D

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He looks like a little sweety! His color is very nice too! May I ask what type of bird he is? I'd like to look up about him on Wiki.

:hug4: Rain

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Awww so sweet! I'm a new birb parent to one lovebird and two linnies and didn't lnow any better when I got them, so they are all clipped. I don't intend to keep them clipped but for now the lovie still can fly pretty well. My flock is just losing a few down feathers here and there. So glad someone reminded me about molting or I'd be panicking about the sorta scruffy looking feathers!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Unless I'm missing something here, a bird doesn't loose all its tail feathers or it couldn't fly. :unsure: :shrug:

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
He looks like a little sweety! His color is very nice too! May I ask what type of bird he is? I'd like to look up about him on Wiki.

:hug4: Rain
No prob! That is a regular Parakeet. (Im in the USA, so you may call them budgies or Budgerigars where you are from.) Regular parakeet, not English. I keep asking what kind of blue he is, but, in my bird knowledge, I think he is young because of all the bars across his head, and his eyes are still all black (no iris visible yet, they look so cute.) I am so happy you like him!

I'll have to take more pics if I can. I think I have one of him standing on one foot lol! Happy Birdie :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is a Cutie! :heart2: I'm in the USA too, I see it (budgie) in the new picture. The other 1 looking @ his back, he looked bigger to me. I was also beat that night when I posted. I get daft after a real long day. :lol:

How are his feathers doing now, it's been about a week?

:grouphug3: Rain

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Good news, my bird can now fly from her cage to my bed on her own. xD You know what that means... less effort for me! 8D *naturally lazy*

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Woah Yesterday she was really getting some flying experience. She flew all over, still not super well but she's definitely getting some confidence. She flew from bed to cage, chair to bed, bed to close to floor but then flew back up to bed, flew onto the ground (kinda fell tbh but shhhh), and the other day she flew ontop of dresser (she got spooked) and then flew down to me when I called her.

So proud of her. I bet next month she'll be even better.

thomasc011

Checking out the neighborhood
My bird has been molting a lil here and there and finally I see a feather on each side peeking out of her wings. Makes me happy but of course she still can't fly. xD I know they lose one feather on each side but does it
comparateur assurance chien

take the same amount of time between feathers or is this indication of her about to lose more feathers very soon? x.x I've had her for over 3 months now but this is the first sign of progress for her wings. Now that she has a new feather I wonder how much longer we both have to wait. :/

Also I wonder how many she needs before she can fly moderately well.
Hello!

This is my first time here and I just want to say that I’m very happy to be here and to share my opinion.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Keoki is finally starting to get more flight feathers. He has 10 missing on each side. 20 feathers to grow back, long and slow process. I have to say I did not do this to him. When I got him last year, he came to me clipped, more like chop job and when I took him to his first vet visit, his chopped feathers were uneven 10 on one side / 8 on the other, so the vet cleaned them up, so he would have balance when they grow back. Slow, but he knows they are coming in. He’s flapping and jumping up and down like crazy. Like a fledging bird would do. He is 8 months now and a very happy bird.