• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fiery Shouldered Conures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Haley_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Haley
I'm always the only one with a Fiery Shouldered Conure. I randomly happened upon him on Petfinder when I was lusting after a conure.

Anyone else have one?? I didn't think they were THAT rare....but...you never know...

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
I can't think of anyone else on AA with a Fiery Shouldered off the top of my head.. I haven't come across one in person either, now that I think about it. How is Petrie's personality? I'd love to hear more about him!

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
I also dont know of anyone else of the Forums with a Fiery Shouldered Conure (also known as a Demerara Conure) on the Forums. I also have never personally encountered one.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I've never heard about them until now. I just looked at them and they remind me of a mix between a hahns macaw and a green cheek conure :)

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I saw the pics you posted Haley! He's beautiful, but I've never seen one either lol.

Eliza

Jogging around the block
Oh, I'm a big fan of fiery-shouldered conures... Don't have one but really would like to one day :heart:

From what I've read, they are decently established in European & South African aviculture. I know that they are occasionally available in Canada and hopefully will be more plentiful in the US. There is at least one breeding consortium for FSC here in the US, which is nice to know :)

I'm looking so forward to hearing more about your FSC! There are so few stories/videos/photos out there of pet fiery-shouldered conures -- it will be great to see some of your little buddy :D

For those not familiar with fiery-shouldered conures, Darlene Johnson of Little Wings Aviary in Canada has written some great articles about them:

http://www.mylittledarlings.com/articles_fieryshoulderedconures.html

Last edited:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
They are supposedly one of the nicest conures. They are present through a breeding consortium. The breeding pair cannot be sold but off spring can be.

Before getting my Galah I was going to get a fiery shoulder conure. The breeder has bred many different species and when I talked to him this is by far the nicest conure and the only one he now breeds.

Seed & Soak Mixes, Handfeeding Supplies, and Vitacritter Toy Coloring

Peggy

TITANIS

The FSC is a very nice species. They do have a similar appearance to a Hahn's. I always found them one of the more interesting and attractive conures. From what I understand, they are somewhat rare in the US and this is one of the few species including the BTC which might actually be more commonly available in Canada.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oohhh, so cute! I'd never even heard of them until I read this post. Yes, I do see the cross! Definitely looks like GCC, maybe some BCC, and a little bit of Sun in there :D

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Wow, how beautiful!!! Never seen one before but they are gorgeous.

lsware

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Linda
The firey shouldered I have never seen either. What a beautiful birdie it is!

Flit

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
Before I discovered Painted Conures and, subsequently, got Boo my Painted, I was looking at getting a FSC. ^^ It's still on my list of "birds I would like to get one day when I have more money and space." :D

evsrin

This species is named befittingly...
:omg: My oh my, they are SO gorgeous! I would have to say that my 2 favorite to look at would be this and the scarlet breasted green cheek!

Status
Not open for further replies.