• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Female Pacific Parrotlet Swollen Belly

Lupita

Moving in
Hi, I don't have an avian vet nearby and like information as I am a new pacific parrotlet owner. On Wednesday my female parrotlet, Lupita who is about 8 months started acting just a little differently. By Friday she spent most of her day snuggled in her food bowl, would hold her feces and defecate only outside of her cage and they would be double if not triple her normal size. She was also being territorial. By the signs, I read online that it might be hormones and or nesting behavior. From one day to another her belly became swollen. I thought she might lay an egg but she didn't. She would have moments when she would act like her normal self only to snuggle back up in her food bowl. Now she is back on her top perch, flying short distances (her wings aren’t clipped) compared to before, does not chirp excitedly or is as curious as before, and her abdomen is still swollen. Is the belly swelling due to hormones? Should I worry? She is behaving somewhat like herself but I am worried she may be fighting something out like a trooper. Thank you!!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It looks like she's ready to lay an egg.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She looks like shes got a eggie there,,hope she lays it with no issues, keep us posted.

Lupita

Moving in
She looks like shes got a eggie there,,hope she lays it with no issues, keep us posted.
Thank you so much for your prompt responses! I am so grateful. Being that I am a newbie at this and have not found an answer online I do still have one more question. How long does it take for the egg to form and laid? How should I prepare? Thank you

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any updates? I do know that if you take her in the bathroom and run hot water shower it will steam up the room and create a humid environment, thus it may help her feel more comfortable and pass the egg.

Lupita

Moving in
Any updates? I do know that if you take her in the bathroom and run hot water shower it will steam up the room and create a humid environment, thus it may help her feel more comfortable and pass the egg.
Thanks for the advice! Lupita did come out of her cage this morning flew to my kitchen chandelier to poop (for some reason that’s her designated spot). Waddled around and then back to the food bowl it was. I don’t have a nest box so it has become her nest I guess. She’s fluffed up, occasionally opens and closes her beak, and has her eyes closed too.

This is new to me and I am worried now that she’s had an egg in her since Friday. Don’t know when the “due date” should be. Her vent isn’t swelled up either. She’s just a lovely and adorable bird and I hope everything goes smoothly.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is new to me and I am worried now that she’s had an egg in her since Friday. Don’t know when the “due date” should be. Her vent isn’t swelled up either. She’s just a lovely and adorable bird and I hope everything goes smoothly.
She does sound lovely and cute! May I suggest that you reach out to your vet today to touch base with him/her/them about this situation. You don't want to find yourself and Lupita in an emergency situation without having the information/ground work in place with your vet.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes please take her to your vet. Its possible she can have a fatty tumor. Take care and be sure.

Lupita

Moving in
She does sound lovely and cute! May I suggest that you reach out to your vet today to touch base with him/her/them about this situation. You don't want to find yourself and Lupita in an emergency situation without having the information/ground work in place with your vet.
I called and made the appointment with the vet although far. My Lupita is worth the trip. About an hour after she laid her egg! How EGGciting! Excuse the pun. I’m so happy it went about okay. Can I still take her to vet or should she not be bothered now? It looks like she’s tired. Thank you, all :)

Lupita

Moving in
I called and made the appointment with the vet although far. My Lupita is worth the trip. About an hour after she laid her egg! How EGGciting! Excuse the pun. I’m so happy it went about okay. Can I still take her to vet or should she not be bothered now? It looks like she’s tired. Thank you, all :)
01DE34DF-37F6-4B3E-AE35-C453BE56C56F.jpeg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If this were me I would call the vet and ask but I think it can wait if only for the egg. She may lay more in a couple days. There are females birds that are chronic egg layers who sometimes get an implant at the vets. Make sure you are feeding high calcium foods. In the photo it looks like she is sleeping in the food dish!

Lupita

Moving in
If this were me I would call the vet and ask but I think it can wait if only for the egg. She may lay more in a couple days. There are females birds that are chronic egg layers who sometimes get an implant at the vets. Make sure you are feeding high calcium foods. In the photo it looks like she is sleeping in the food dish!
Thank you, I’ll call now. I would like to take her but will ask for their opinion. Sadly, I had no idea what was going on with her and I had no appropriate place for her to nest. She chose the food dish. I don’t think I can move her now she definitely wants to rest.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I called and made the appointment with the vet although far. My Lupita is worth the trip. About an hour after she laid her egg! How EGGciting! Excuse the pun. I’m so happy it went about okay. Can I still take her to vet or should she not be bothered now? It looks like she’s tired. Thank you, all
Glad that egg is out, very eggciting! :laugh:

Poor baby, she does look exhausted. She's had a rough go of it. If it were me I would still keep the appointment as you can probably expect another egg. When my hen would get in egg laying mode, we always made a trip to the vet for a calcium shot and other supportive care. Lupita getting a check up and some supplements may be a good idea. Better to go into this fully prepared.

Lupita

Moving in
Glad that egg is out, very eggciting! :laugh:

Poor baby, she does look exhausted. She's had a rough go of it. If it were me I would still keep the appointment as you can probably expect another egg. When my hen would get in egg laying mode, we always made a trip to the vet for a calcium shot and other supportive care. Lupita getting a check up and some supplements may be a good idea. Better to go into this fully prepared.
Thank you for letting me know about this! Her check up did get postponed due to a staff member being sick at the office. Such bad timing I think they’re taking precaution with the COVID-19. The vet told me to keep an eye on her and get liquid calcium. Lupita is doing alright today just sitting on her egg and being territorial. I’m keeping on the lookout to see if there’s another egg.