• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female feeding the male?

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
so, i have two Senegal parrots, they have been together for a few weeks now, and they really seem to have fun..

Anyways, i tought i had figured out i had a male and a female, nice!
But yesterday i noticed something odd! For the past few weeks i saw the male feeding the female, but yesterday i saw her feeding him!!

Is this normal? I have not DNA sexed them, as i have no plans to breed with them more then once if it happens at all :)

I realise i am one of those lucky few who simply put two birds together and they bonded (ignorance CAN be a bliss!) so maybe i have two males?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You could have a pair, or two males or even two females. You might want to get them DNA sexed anyway, because males can't get egg-bound, and in an emergency, it could be a life or death situation knowing your birds gender.

I have seem female budgies feeding other, non-related female budgies, all being adults, too... so I'd say it's "normal".

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Fair enough :) i do plan on sexing them, its just not *that* important to me :) as in, im not looking to breed! But i see your point regarding the egg laying emergency's :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You might want to get them DNA sexed anyway, because males can't get egg-bound, and in an emergency, it could be a life or death situation knowing your birds gender.
Agree! :)

I love your new avatar Jan! ♥

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Hehe yes! Jacco is quickly becomming part of the family :) he beeing abused makes him scared of anything, but he does follow Kaya where she goes, even on my shoulder :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He will soon love you, just wait. ♥ And he will also learn that he is safe now and can trust you what ever you do.
I have also had an abused parrot, and she become the sweetest ever when she beginning to trust me.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Haha yes i think we will :) but truth be told, i find it more important he gets along with Kaya, i have recently signed a contract for a new job, meaning i will be away fulltime :( thats why i got another parrot in the first place, so i am happy if hes happy, regardless of wether he wants to bond with me or not :)