• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female Eclectus

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
An old friend has a female Eclectus that has been "screaming nonstop for a year." She wants me to take her. My friend has had her 4 years. I'm not sure about her plucking status, flighted status, diet, subspecies, etc. Supposedly, they've "tried everything". She came from a "bad situation" but allows petting.

I need another bird like a hole in the head, but my friend just had surgery and has a lot going on. They figure the screaming is hormonal, which is most people's go to. I'll find out details ASAP, but do any ekkie people have any thoughts?

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
A new environment might help with screaaming temporarily, however having other birds around might also make her comfortable very quickly.

I guess you could try some diversional training when it starts. In saying that my boy screams around hubby. Would have to remove hubby to fix the problem there lol

Its such a hard one isnt it. Like so many factors to consider. Might be diet related. Might be not enough enrichment. Might be wanting to mate. She may just need some sunshine (this works for my boy when he still screams and ive removed hubby). Going out for a drive calms him for rest of day too. But if hes going to start toe tapping from too much vitamins he will always scream beforehand as not feeling 100%. But its a different type of screaming.
Guess its gonna be a bit of a journey finding out.

Would it be possible to see bird scream in current environment to see if you can identify potential cause? Blood work might help too.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
A lot to think about! Need more info from her to even consider it.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Screaming for a year is not hormonal.

You have alot on your plate but you could help her out & find the bird a good home but be sure its not sick as you don;t want to endanger your flock.

Female ekkies are stunning!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
An old friend has a female Eclectus that has been "screaming nonstop for a year." She wants me to take her. My friend has had her 4 years. I'm not sure about her plucking status, flighted status, diet, subspecies, etc. Supposedly, they've "tried everything". She came from a "bad situation" but allows petting.

I need another bird like a hole in the head, but my friend just had surgery and has a lot going on. They figure the screaming is hormonal, which is most people's go to. I'll find out details ASAP, but do any ekkie people have any thoughts?

Yikes! You have a lot going on with Petey, but if anyone's qualified to care for her it's you, even if it's just til you can find her forever home. Could that be an option?

Wendy27

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I give my male ekkie a soaking bath - and then let him air dry - he preens and rearranged his feathers for a long time afterwards - and he is quiet while doing so - also - going out in the sunshine is another big activity . . . my guy has 2 different cages in different parts of the house -he likes the change of scenery.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:cantsee: I don't see any changes to your siggie. Any news on the Ekkie front?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My 10 year old Lucy used to scream every time I was out of sight. I adopted a boyfriend for her, 26 year old Sergei. They are now in a large divided cage as its too soon to let them be alone together. She never screams any more! They talk to each other when I'm not in the room. Sergei is a very calm guy and he is a true blessing.They both spend a lot of time trying to impress each other, so my presence isn't demanded 24/7.