• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female cockatiel isn't laying eggs?

mirothebreeder

Checking out the neighborhood
i had a hand tamed a male for about three years and he never seen another bird i got him when he was 3 month.now i got a female for him 1 month in and they only feed each other rarely are they not good mates or will she never lay eggs because i used to have cocktail birds a male and a female and she almost layed instantly.Please help i need them to lay because i supply my friends shop with hand fed and tamed birds and i really need more tamed birds because my male is really protective because of my female he protects her so he gets aggresive when i play with him so i need other birds to tame and play with

Birdlovesme

Sprinting down the street
i had a hand tamed a male for about three years and he never seen another bird i got him when he was 3 month.now i got a female for him 1 month in and they only feed each other rarely are they not good mates or will she never lay eggs because i used to have cocktail birds a male and a female and she almost layed instantly.Please help i need them to lay because i supply my friends shop with hand fed and tamed birds and i really need more tamed birds because my male is really protective because of my female he protects her so he gets aggresive when i play with him so i need other birds to tame and play with
You need to post another thread so your question is answered faster.
As for help, them feeding eachother is a good sign. They need time to bond, it won't happen right away.
By the way, I hope you have good experience, otherwise breeding isn't the greatest..
How To: Start a Thread and Comment in a Thread (2015 Update) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The male is 3 years old.... is the female even old enough to breed? Are they on a healthy diet? Does the hen get exercise?

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
Is your need to supply your friends shop with birds financially driven?
I presume you have more than 1 pair of birds as using a lone female to supply you with baby birds is a little irresponsible. The birds should not be encouraged to breed repeatedly. It sounds like your need for baby birds is superseding the birds needs or wants to reproduce? Maybe it's a good thing they are not breeding?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'll try to be nice. Have you ever thought of finding a different hobby that doesn't involve selling live beings like a furniture store supplier for money? You are the biggest reason the pet industry is such a mess. I said I would try. I failed.

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
I'll try to be nice. Have you ever thought of finding a different hobby that doesn't involve selling live beings like a furniture store supplier for money? You are the biggest reason the pet industry is such a mess. I said I would try. I failed.
You were nice:) I couldn't be so I didn't comment.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
A couple of (non-judgmental) thoughts...
1. In nature, cockatiels breed one to two times a year, and sometimes not at all, depending on food availability. Any more than this is extremely risky for a female. In fact, females that lay clutches more than twice a year are considered "chronic layers" and require intervention to return to a normal laying cycle.
2. Depending on the female's age, she may not be ready to lay yet. She may not lay eggs at all, and even if she does, there is no guarantee that she and the male will be "active," so the eggs may not be fertile, either way.

It's not clear what the motivation is for you breeding your birds. If it's financial, I think you need to calculate your costs a bit better, because if you are taking proper care of your cockatiels, the economics are against it. If it's to help your friend out, again, unless he runs a pet store that specializes in birds, the economics are against it. Our local bird store just breaks even, because properly caring for birds is time consuming and expensive. Your friend should reconsider selling birds. He'll probably save money by not selling them.

If you want more birds as companions, why not focus on the two that you have? If you spend more time working with them, rather than encouraging them to breed, you will be more accepted, and they are more likely to see you as "flock."

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ditto what John said!!

Rolanda

Hi John and Jane,
He also mentioned having a tamed bird that he can interact with. It's all very confusing.

I believe that the intention is to breed the bird and have him like the female but still have a hand tamed 'friend'. I know nothing about breeding but aren't breeders normally left as breeders and pets kept as pets? It sounds as if the male in this situation is being a good mate and protecting the female and not wanting to be so much a 'buddy' anymore. Which isn't liked much by the poster. Yes, this post is All Over the Place. Except in that it is entirely possible the person posting doesn't know anything about breeding or actually raising birds: which of course is the Scariest part of this whole thing.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I hate to say it, but it wouldn't be the first time a "breeder" has posted on the boards. Just because cockatiels are the rabbits of the parrot world doesn't mean they should be allowed to breed like them...