• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female cockatiel being territorial

Mansi

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all, I have two cockatiel one is female for sure (as she does female call) and other one male may be because he sings and do heart wings. I have female cockatiel from 3 months and she had her first molt a week ago. She was kind a bonded with me but at some point I need to go out of house and she would feel alone so with same thought I brought a male cockatiel home before 2 months. In the beginning they both were annoyed with eachother and more aggressive so I didn't took risk to put them in same cage I still have separate cage for them and not planning to put them in same cage till next 7-8 months. They play together eat together even do forging together. But very recently my female started showing off wings and she is being territorial. She will do it on her cage, my shoulder, on her favourite toy and her favourite places. I find it too cute until I realised my male cockatiel is scared of going to any place which she claims to be hers. Does she bullies him? Or is it normal? Because male isn't tamed and much scared by this.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Khizz may be able to help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are you sure she's a girl? I've never heard of a female call. Does she only do this around you or at other times too? I'm wondering if she is really a "he". And perhaps he is being hormonal right now. @Tiel Feathers ? @CeciliaZ ?

Mansi

Hi thank you for replying. I am saying it's she because she doesn't sing or whistle and has spots under wings and tail. I have attached a pic if you can help.... She was all grey before molt but after molt under beak she got this yellow colour and around eyes. I have heard that genetic can cause this

Attachments

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
How old is she or he? It looks like there is a lot of yellow developing in the facial area...which would mean "boy" It took about a year for may male tiel to develop all the yellow coloring in his face. After molting, feathers on his wings did not have the spots.

Usually, the only time my female is territorial is when she is hormonal. During that time - she is very protective of her cage.

Showing and displaying their wings is something both my males and females do.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If "she" had a grey face and now has yellow, you have a boy. I am wondering if your other tiel is being protective of you/claiming you as his "mate". How much sleep do they get? Tiels should get 10-12 hours. If they don't, try that. If they do, you can try bumping it up by 2 hours for 2 weeks to see if that helps. Also, make sure you are only petting around the head/neck area. Putting other areas can make him think that you're more than friends. Hopefully, it's just a bit of a hormonal phase.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It seems like normal behavior to me. I have three girls, and they all are somewhat territorial. One of my girls, Cappuccino, is very bossy and frequently chases the other two away from where they are perched. She is especially bratty to Sunset, who is very laid back. Sunset has learned to avoid her, and sometimes likes to come out when Cappuccino is in her own cage, which she has shared with Niko, my other female, for several years now. Niko will stand her ground a little better than Sunset, and they do well sharing a cage, even though I do see Cappuccino chase Niko away from a perch once and a while. At least Niko’s egg laying has decreased since she started sharing a cage with Cappuccino. Nobirdie in their right mind would try to have a nest with Cappuccino around! :lol:
I should also mention that I had a male that used to pester my female also. They could not share a cage because then she would never have had any peace. Some birds just don’t get along very well.

As mentioned, it could also be hormones, and she might calm down after a few weeks.

Mansi

Hi Ceciliaz, thank you for the reply. She must be 7-8 because she had her first molt and still new feathers are growing. But she still has a yellow markings under tail or wings.

Mansi

Hi, thanks a lot. I can try to increase their sleep by 2 hours they usually get 11-12 hours of sleep. But I can try for two weeks. My other tiel isn't very much interested in humans but he will surely sing and do his best heart wings to impress female one (or maybe male) but he is pretty much hanging out with feather friend only. He will come to me only if he wants to be petted. And I had this idea about petting to heads only so I never touch them inappropriately.