• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Female? Age?

TinaTeil

Checking out the neighborhood
I just got a cockatiel and a couple budgies from a bad situation at a pet store. I am trying to figure out if the cockatiels approximate age and so I can confirm it is a female. I know that pearl cockatiels are almost always female after they molt. But I don’t know if she is still very young and hasn’t molted yet.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :)
Some of the more experienced cockatiel keepers will hopefully be along to help you out soon.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Without knowing the mutations of the parents or if the bird has had its first molt, there's really not any way to determine the sex short of a DNA test. Behavior can give hints, but it's not infallible: males are generally more vocal and will whistle and "heartwing."

Could you call the pet store and ask if they have any information from the breeder, perhaps?

Is that cage intended as a permanent or temporary set up?

TinaTeil

Checking out the neighborhood
I don’t speak the language of the people around here so saki g the pet shop owner is not possible.
Cage is temporary. I don’t have access here to the things I used to use for my birds in the US.
She is a pearl... no pied genes.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's beautiful. Unless a cockatiel is a baby, you really can't determine their age visually.