• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feline Leukemia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlottalyn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Today, during a heartworm/combo blood test, I discovered that my 9 yo baby girl, Jasmine (Siamese pictured below), has leukemia. I don't know if she was infected as a kitten when she was around my parents' cat who later died from a tumor, or more recently when we had a stray kitty with us for a few days. I tried to keep them separated, but still. This never even entered my mind. I'm in shock still. The good news is, she's healthy right now...no weird symptoms other than lately over-grooming her hind legs a little bit (no fleas).

Anyone else here with a leukemia positive kitty? What have you done to combat possible complications?

My poor girl. :(

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I have a feline leukemia positive kitty. He gets 1cc of interferon solution by mouth daily, to boost his immune system. I'll post more detail later.

Feather Mom

Real Name
Gretchen
So sorry to hear. :( Years ago we had a leukemia positive kitty, we gave her an oral medication that I can't remember what is was right now, also pet tinic liquid vitamins.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I am so sorry, that is news no one wants to hear. :( :hug8:

I am guessing she is an indoor cat? It is really important she doesn't get fleas, parasites, and worms, also regular vet check ups and keep an eye on her if you see any symptoms such as sneezing, coughing and etc she will need to go to the vets right away.

Something you may want to talk to your normal vet about is a holistic vet, they can help you with a treatment program, as well as nutrition too.

ETA: There is another treatment I was told about but I forgot the name of it, however it has quite the horrible side effects on cats.

Last edited:

mariec

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marie
I have a 13 year old kitty who has been infected with feline herpes and leukemia for years. She gets interferon everyday and she has been remarkably symptom free for years. A few cold type symptoms once a year that make her miserable for about a week- but other than that good for 13-14 years now!

We do feed a very nutrient rich kitty food that is not full of " fillers" and every year she gets her check-up and then there is always an extra visit for that once a year sniffles in which she is given a metacam prescription to make her more comfortable- sometimes clavamox too if her vet is worried about any secondary infections setting in. So I always have to count on that extra visit, as well as the fact her yearly always requires added bloodwork to check her underlying health status.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm so sorry to hear of this, thats scary for an owner to hear. When I get heartworm checks on my dog I'm a nervous wreck waiting for the results. I still test even though he's on medicine cause nothing is a guarantee. :hug8::hug8:

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Sounds like Interferon is definitely one to talk to the vet about (speaking of which, gonna find a new vet, was not too happy with how they handled it yesterday).

She's eating Orijen right now, and on frontline plus and heartgard. Strictly indoors as she always has been. I'll be keeping a closer eye on her than ever before . Thank you ladies for the input so far!!

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I have heard that a cat that has feline leukemia that interacts with another cat that doesn't have its feline leukemia shot then that other cat gets it as well. I could be wrong but I remember back when my old cat died we had a scare that she had feline leukemia and gave it to our other cat. Luckily our other cat had gotten her shots, but in the end it was a tumor that killed my cat.

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
Yes, it is transmitted through cat-to-cat interactions...my cat has only been in contact with two other cats the whole time that we've had her, and while I could have sworn we've tested for this before, maybe not. And honestly, I adopted her when I was 18 and didn't fully research the group I got her from, I just fell in love with her at an adoption event...the rescue group wasn't the most legit either, looking back on it. So who really knows. We sent in more bloodwork to confirm it with another, more in-depth test. Meanwhile, going to start looking for a different vet. This guy did not know nearly enough about it, and didn't even suggest doing anything besides just keeping an eye on her. No duh. :rolleyes:

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Yeah a good vet is key. I love my current dog/cat vet. He's a family friend and is always super in depth in explaining everything and all of our options.

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
I had finally found a great vet for our dogs right before we moved...of course. :p We've checked out a couple around here so far that are highly rated, but...nothing right quite yet. Did find an avian/exotics vet, though. I've met her a couple of times and will probably take Dex in soon for leg band removal and check up.

southernbirds

Any diagnosis that affects our pets is worrisome. I have dogs so I cannot comment but to offer my best wishes for your Kitty to be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.