• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Feeding my new macaw..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ally

Walking the driveway
Real Name
ally
this is my first bird, and he is only four weeks old. im a quick learner, so if someone could just give me some quick tips i only have a few questions.
how will i know when my baby is full and how much do i feed him? also at what temp. do i feed him? please help!

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Now that you found this part read read read read. Somewhere someone has posted the questions and answers you need.
Start with the sticky at the top.

Ally

Walking the driveway
Real Name
ally
lol thank you so much, i honestly feel like an idiot..ive been trying to do alot of research, but now that the bird will be here tomorrow, i feel so unprepared.

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Try to remain calm. Your new pet well need you stable and calm so he feel stable and calm.
I know it is hard I remember the first bird I hand fed. Some idiot breeder sold a stranger a bird that was not weaned and I had no clue. (Over 15 years ago when I first decided I wanted more then my budgies.)So I know it is hard but try to not be stressed.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Good luck on your adventure. We are all here to help so please ask away :)

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ally ....

I didn't realize you started two threads on the same subject, you've gotten some replies in the other thread you started:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/macaw-motorway/25117-helppppp.html

This is the info I got from a Macaw breeder reposted here from the other thread:

Here's what I know .. but I've never hand fed a large Mac, I'm not a breeder, I just called a friend who breeds large Macs and got a quickie overview:

At 4 wks. hand feeding should be around 4 - 5 time a day .. each bird is unique, you just have to watch the crop and see how fast it's emptying.

Amount to feed can be anywhere from 60 cc to 110 cc per feeding average, again, this depends on the bird.

Don't forget .. formula temp. is EXTREMELY important!! 104 - 108 degrees is usually where breeders like to be. USE A THERMOMETER - DO NOT GUESS!!

Get the water hot first .. distilled water is preferred I believe .. then mix in the formula. Don't mix cold water and formula together .. then heat. If you're in a time crunch, most "box" pet stores <PetCo, PetSmart> sell the Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding Formula .. it's not the best, but in a pinch it's better than nothing. Your vet might be able to provide you with thy syringes, they're a little harder to come by in regular pet shops.

You'll need syringes .. Macs need larger syringes .. 60 cc is what was suggested at 4 wks, but you may want to get some smaller ones <35 cc> until you are comfortable handling a larger syringe.

Large Rubbermaid containers are great for using as a brooder .. I'd definitely invest in a thermometer to monitor the temp inside the brooder. Depending on how cool/warm you keep your house right now, you may need to supplement the heating source with a heating pad, or heat lamp <please, please, please, be careful using either of these, they can overheat the bird if not monitored .. THERMOMETER!!>

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The babies I have handfed at that age have taken 80-120cc's, every 3 hours, or as needed their food is 2/3 gone form their crop and when they begin to cry.

I do NOT like syringe feeding macaws., because of how powerful their wings are during the feeding response. It can knock you over and make it a very messy job, especially if your not experienced enough to know how to handle this.

I like to use PAPER CUPS!

I mix Formula with water in another cup or bowl, until its like thick gravy. I add just a tiny bit more water, and then I mocrowave it for 30-60 seconds. Typically 30 seconds is enough. I take it out, stir, and make sure its slightly thicker than thick gravy. I ALWAYS wash my hands and then stick my finger into the formula, to make sure there is not hot spots. Then I POOR some into the paper cup, mix again with a thermometer, and takes it temperature, until it 104-110F. Macaw chicks always seem to like it around 107-110F.

Then I position the baby, trigger the feeding response my putting my finger inside its mouth or touching the cheeks, and then it'll HONK and grab your finger, flap its wings, and beg. This is when I put the paper cup to its mouth and tilt it and let the baby drink it down.

I also prefer SPOON feeding, but to get enough down a macaw, via spoon, will take some time, usually 2xs as normal. And you may have to reheat the formula, if you do the spoon method (because of how long it can take to fill a macaw up).But spoon feeding is my favorite method. And I like to take my time with feeding my baby birds, so I prefer spoon feeding out of all the ways to handfeed.

Now I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you watch some youtube videos on how to handfeed, so you can see how its done.

And if at all possible, go back to that breeder and demand to be shown what you should do!

You should also look up BROODERS, and either buy one or learn how to make one on your own.

Here are a couple articles on abundance weaning, that I suggest you take a look at:

Abundant Weaning & Fledging

Abundance Weaning

Do you have any pics of this baby?

Last edited by a moderator:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And if at all possible, go back to that breeder and demand to be shown what you should do!
I think the baby is being shipped in from Florida... :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Here are some videos I just browsed:

YouTube - new baby blue & gold macaws 4/19/09

In this video, he does it on the couch. I recommend doing it up higher, like kitchen counter top, the table, etc. You can also see where he slows down to give the baby a breath, and he goes at the BABIES pace.

YouTube - hand feeding macaw "champ" 3 weeks and about him a little

Here is my prefered handfeeding method, by a SPOON. At a young macaws age, I really prefer to handfeed via spoon over syringe and paper cup. You can see how this method works for you. If it takes a bit longer to handfeed, so what? If you feel more comfortable at this, and it feels safer, go for it!

YouTube - Hand-feeding 12 wk old Greenwing Macaw

Here is my prefered way on how to handfeed, from BEHIND. I dont feel comfortable handfeeding infront of the bird, I like to come from behind, and have the bird facing the same direction as I am, and then reach from the behind, to its beak, and handfeed. It may be because Im left handed. This video shows how to syringe feed

YouTube - Baby Macaw being Fed

There are so many videos online, on youtube, please check them out.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Off Topic posts will be removed. The subject if feeding. Please stay on topic.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey Ally, I know you are probably at the vets, but I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and the your new baby. Looking forward to an update. Feel free to Pm me anytime. Cindy is great help and very experienced. You are going to do fine!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.